Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Camero front and ride height options?

Firstly I'm not sure the model/year but my 49 Chevy truck is fitted with Camaro front clip. It rides well as far as firmness etc but something needs to be done to allow better steering lock since tyrescatch the arches.
    What are my options other than cutting the arches bigger or flaring them out? Are there air ride components available for all model fronts? I do like the low stance but needs at least some practically.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some pics would help. What backspace wheels are you running? What's the track width compared to stock?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie rickbwigan's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    my 52 chevy truck runs a 77 camaro clip.
    to get mine lower i had to change the wheels to ones with a higher ET so they tucked in more. i fitted thinner tyres so they didnt rub the arches.
    i then fitted coilovers. i made my own and altered the a-arms but coilovers are available for camaros. i think air ride is an easy fit for these clips too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbwigan View Post
    my 52 chevy truck runs a 77 camaro clip.
    to get mine lower i had to change the wheels to ones with a higher ET so they tucked in more. i fitted thinner tyres so they didnt rub the arches.
    i then fitted coilovers. i made my own and altered the a-arms but coilovers are available for camaros. i think air ride is an easy fit for these clips too.

]
    Thank you for that. Yours looks to be running about the same height as mine. Now i've had a good look underneath and realised that even with the most stiffest springs the most it'll lift is 2"!! Yes my wheels/tyres appear to be wider than yours and have a wider track. Sorry but I'm not familiar with the terms, what do you mean by higher ET?
    Ive been thinking......[dangerous I know] but maybe itll be easier and better to actually raise up the whole body on spacers from the chassis. How difficult would this be? I think i need only 1-2" to clear the arches. I could then fit air ride to give it that lower stance if driving when i dont need to use full lock. Thoughst please.

ps. sorry but i have't figured out yet how to post pics!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stude Star View Post
    Some pics would help. What backspace wheels are you running? What's the track width compared to stock?
    Sorry but i know very little on what wheels etc or track width compared to stock. I'm totally new to this so lots to learn. Looking at pics of other 3100's mine does seem to be running a wider track though.
    I haven't yet even worked out how to post pics! I willl measure the track width tomorrow.
    Thank you.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    Thank you for that. Yours looks to be running about the same height as mine. Now i've had a good look underneath and realised that even with the most stiffest springs the most it'll lift is 2"!! Yes my wheels/tyres appear to be wider than yours and have a wider track. Sorry but I'm not familiar with the terms, what do you mean by higher ET?
    Ive been thinking......[dangerous I know] but maybe itll be easier and better to actually raise up the whole body on spacers from the chassis. How difficult would this be? I think i need only 1-2" to clear the arches. I could then fit air ride to give it that lower stance if driving when i dont need to use full lock. Thoughst please.

ps. sorry but i have't figured out yet how to post pics!

Why is lifting the body dangerouse.theres only four bolts hold it to the outriggers.you could put spacers with longer bolts,same with the bed.again four bolts.and two at the grill end.

The problem would be things like the running boards as they wouldnt line up with the wings.easier to fit different front wheels with a more suitable backspace
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie rickbwigan's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ET is a measurement on the wheel that tells you were the mounting face of the wheel is compared to centre of the width of the wheel.

so an et of 0 means that the the mounting face (were your bolts go through) is exactly centred in the middle of the wheel.

an et of +50 would mean it would tuck in 50mm , or an et of -50 would make it stick out further.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Why is lifting the body dangerouse.theres only four bolts hold it to the outriggers.you could put spacers with longer bolts,same with the bed.again four bolts.and two at the grill end.

The problem would be things like the running boards as they wouldnt line up with the wings.easier to fit different front wheels with a more suitable backspace
    I meant dangerous as in just thinking. We shoulkdn't think but just do it. Yes i've had a look today and i think lifting the whole body is going to be the answer since it does ground out easily on speed bumps. I suppose I would have to alter the outriggers to bring the running boards baack in line.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbwigan View Post
    ET is a measurement on the wheel that tells you were the mounting face of the wheel is compared to centre of the width of the wheel.

so an et of 0 means that the the mounting face (were your bolts go through) is exactly centred in the middle of the wheel.

an et of +50 would mean it would tuck in 50mm , or an et of -50 would make it stick out further.
    So the same as i understand as being the wheel offset. Can altering the offset though cause handling problems? I remember years ago fitting 2" spacers on my 1972 mini and it would steer itself if i hit a bump in the road.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Job all in hand now. Im doing quite a few other jiobs at the same time, many are to just put right previous poor workmanship.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information