cellulose or two pack if im spraying my car??
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

cellulose or two pack if im spraying my car??

Hello, new chap, but after some experianced advice please!

i am respraying my more sensible car, and it turns out its a pearl base colour, so, how do i do it and how much, if i go 2 pack?

i speayed my capri last year with straight cellulose and it came out ok, but i have never applied any 2 pack

i know about breathing and will do it with the door open and a good mask!

any advice at all about types, quantites of paint/lacquer from anyone whos done it would be much appreciated, or if i go celly over the existing, how do i stop a reaction, and what do i use to get a good adhesion to the plastics (bumpers, side skirts etc)?

its an r32 skyline, so about the size of a sierra id estimate

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "i know about breathing and will do it with the door open and a good mask!" - No, you need an air fed mask and a filtered spray booth, or the neighbours and any animals will be affected. Sorry, but the stuff *IS* very literally deadly

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    gotta be cllulose then hasnt it, wonder how i block it from peeling the original paint off then, maybe some strong primer (very little thinner) dusted on first

thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get all the prep stage done in 2K ,Primer and Primer Filler can be applied with a small sponge roller ,once hard matt black guide coat [to show up hi a nd lo spots ] only light dusting to show imperfections. Dry flat [ if you wet flat you may be making problems for later ]
    Once you are happy you can spray a light coat of cellulose , flat that and you are ready for colour.
    Cellulose is probably easier if you are not a pro and do not have an extracted booth to work in [not many of us do ]
    2k is nice for pros and speeds things up but if you take your time you can get beautiful results with celly. For final top coats try using abit more thinner to get re-run on the surface. You can get nice finish from the gun depending on your set up.
    If it needs wet sanding to get a good finish use 1200 paper water and a little soap .Wait about a week before wet sanding to give the paint a chance to harden.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    or.... once any repairs are done you can spray with isolater/sealer that you don't flat but paint over with your celly' primer. then flat the primer and paint as normal.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    that sounds good, i cant get the pearl base in cellulose (well except from halfords for 180quid a gallon....) so was going to try and get a standard colour close by, something like ford graphite grey

think thats the answer then, as its nearly ready for paint, and alrm bells were ringing when everyone said just use 2k! i have asthma to start with!

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    2K isn't good for you, BUT neither is cellulose! Both affect the human body in different ways. If you have asthma already, ensure that whatever paint system you use you have a good mask, if you can smell paint at any stage, stop & change the filters. With 2K the harmfull content is the hardener as it contains isocyanates, once its cured, the danger has gone.

Many people use 2K at home as they do cellulose. The key with any paint system is to understand the dangers beforehand and take the necessary steps to minimise them. 2K is a far superior system, but the choice is down to what you feel more comfortable with and what safety gear you have.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as above provided you take adequate precautions you should be ok. its not as if you're spraying all day every day without an air fed mask. everythings dangerous if you breath/expose yourself to enough of it, its all about quantity.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't agree, I'm afraid. Yes, celly is bad for you, but a hell of a lot less so than the now outlawed 2k. Think also (as I said) about the peoole and animals nearby. Sorry to be a BOF, but I for one would NEVER spray with 2k - know a few pros's who are suffering from the effects of it several years after usage, after no initial bad effects.

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to one of the US sites I used to use a lot, celly actually is more harmfull than 2K when spraying. In the US celly is regarded as being an absolute no-no while using 2K at home is accepted as the "norm" for amateur painting. Allegedly the US is way in front of the UK for 2K development. Over here 2K is being stopped for professional use, but is still available for non-professional use.

At the end of the day its down to the user. Sure if you've got next doors kids playing right next to the garage, using any kind of paint isn't a good idea! Rather than relying on the wind to remove the fumes, line the whole garage with polythene to create a "booth" and extract the fumes away from where they are going to cause a nuicance. Remember, once 2K is cured it is no longer harmfull. Yes, there are lots of H&S issues to consider, but please don't think that celly is a safe alternative, its far from it.

If you already have asthma, any paint fumes are likely to irritate it (2K more so) so do a lot of research on the safety systems available. Also remember that any facial hair will stop a mask sealing properly and nose-hairs don't make good filters!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information