Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    this isnt a spray booth!!

maybe i should just keep it urban camouflage!! my neighbour keeps offering to do it with a roller and some blackboard paint!

Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chucks41 View Post
    Hi Phil, I only spray once in a blue moon but the paint factors who sold it to me advised me it was Lechler Macrofan paint, basically the same process as for the water based paint single pack base coat (paint & thinner)
    then with the macrofan lacquer (lac, thinner & activator) supposedly none isocyanate so no need for air fed mask, bought recommended twin filter mask (3M organic vapour disposable) but I had a bad reaction to the thinner towards the end of spraying the car & ended up with bronchitis for a couple of weeks & now seem to be hypersensetive to it even if I'm cleaning something with the thinners.
    Maybe I should of changed the mask a couple of times as I only used the one for all the car, no sense of smell so don't know if the mask was doing it's job.
    I couldn't fault the paint just that it stayed tacky for a good half hour & all the airborne crap in the county seemed to appear out of nowhere & deposit on the car. I think I sprayed 23 coats & cut back 22
    If I spray it again I'm going to get an air fed or at least a full face iso mask.
    If you need any more info I'll dig the data sheet out & let you know for sure.
    Ian
    cheers Ian, so it's just basecoat then, I've paint basecoat and single pack clear numerous times, only issue with single pack clear is it doesn't have the shine of 2K and isn't as durable. I'd stick to celly if I could get a better range of colourrs.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I was at a show the other week in the Consul and a pro sprayer asked who put my 2k on.

He didn't believe it when I said it was celly.
    Put 5 coats on top of rollered 2k primer. Then mebbes 50 hours wet flatting and t-cut.
    Was warned that celly moves around/sinks !? and red can go pinky so best to lay on some clear.

The guy did say he was permanently damaged from too casual health and safety protection
    from years of 2k spraying.

Upshot is you can have a fab finish for a year or two with less risk.

cheers
    Jimbo
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use 2K on my pop and I use the mask for the small jobs, but I have bought a proper air fed mask for the big stuff. Also run 2 compressors for that too, one for paint and one for the mask. Mask compressor has air feed on long beer hose (1.5" int bore) to outside world.
    I also have a high power extractor fan which can shift the entire volume of garage air out every 60 seconds ( I have a big garage too 6.6m x 4m) . I ALWAYS run the fan even on the little jobs.

2K is not too bad with proper precautions taken, but if you have asthma I'd be incredibly cautious with either paint system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in