Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Chassis length on newer vehicles and DVLA

A friend and I have just bought a 2000 Chevy C3500 with a 6.5td from the airport here in NL. It has less than 4k miles .

It's just the cab on chassis. runs and drives etc. We want to convert to car hauler. Slap on a bed and be done? No, it needs more length, and that's the problem.

We want to lengthen the chassis.

Dutch DVLA won't let you lengthen more than was provided from the factory, if we did that it would only give as 10" max. We need more like 3 ft. If you do lengthen anyway here and your paperwork doesn't match, you risk no insurance and MOT fail.

We'd like to lengthen the chassis about 80cm behind the cab in front of the rear axle.

Dutch DVLA has to accept all EU vehicles. So I'm thinking get it v5'd in the UK, lenghten the chassis and have the altered wheelbase corrected on the V5 then re-import the car to NL.

What's the process on these kinds of alterations in the UK? Is it allowed even? Remember it's a 2000 so not an old Rod ( they have different rules over here due to age)

Cheers!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi mate,
    why not just move the axle back on the existing chassis to get the wheelbase you want and then add the 'extension' as part of the body? if the nl rules are similar to the uk then you're only permitted a certain percentage of the wheelbase as body overhang. this way you haven't lengthened the chassis just moved the axle back. neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

starting to crawl back up spanners's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    not shure you can move the axle back on the chevy chassis as it is not parralell
    will you please stop kicking me when i,m down and just help me back up thank you

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    hi mate,
    why not just move the axle back on the existing chassis to get the wheelbase you want and then add the 'extension' as part of the body? if the nl rules are similar to the uk then you're only permitted a certain percentage of the wheelbase as body overhang. this way you haven't lengthened the chassis just moved the axle back. neil.
    it's a pickup. minus the bed. I'll post a pic 2morrow. The thing is here, you can only do what came factory, or a wheelbase you can prove by way of manufacturer certificate it can handle. Those theoreticals etc. are impossible to come by, ask me how I know. Really the quesiton is:

What are the rules in the UK with regards to lengthening a ladder chassis? Let's say I import the truck with an existing wheelbase of 150" and I lengthen it 36". Is that allowed and how do I go about getting that wheelbase altered on the V5? If I can accomplish that I can re-import it to NL with the right wheelbase, put my bed on and be worry free and actually able to load a full size 50's Cadillac without the arse hanging off.

thanks

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't lengthen it by cutting it in half and adding a bit, but some manufacturers such as Ford with the Transit do a factory chassis extension that bolts on the rear of the chassis and you pull the axle backwards.

Bryan

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90 View Post
    You can't lengthen it by cutting it in half and adding a bit, but some manufacturers such as Ford with the Transit do a factory chassis extension that bolts on the rear of the chassis and you pull the axle backwards.

Bryan
    you can't as in: that's not legal?

That's what I need to know.

starting to crawl back up spanners's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could try searching the tin-ter-neet for a uk company called,,PRIMROSE,, they will know as they were ,,still are as far as i know the UK top chassis modifiction company
    will you please stop kicking me when i,m down and just help me back up thank you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information