Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is an easyish way of repairing this, I've got to go out now, to repair a Land Rover chassis as it happens, I will explain when I get back latter. Mark.
    the difficult takes time, the impossible takes a little longer

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly congratulations on the birth of your baby. The first thing to do is check the rest of the chassis for rot before starting this repair, as Satan has already said, this does look iffy. By the amount of rot I assume it's 90 or a 110, if it's gone this bad in these areas I would have thought the front and rear of the chassis will be in a poor state as well. If it is a Discovery or Range Rover I have an almost mint Discovery chassis that you could have for free if you could collect it. Back to the rot, the most awkward bit is the underside of the chassis above the trailing arm bracket. Cut the underside of the chassis away carefully so that bracket remains intact, just hanging in mid air, it would be a good idea to support the chassis to prevent it bending. Then slide a section of metal over the top of the bracket and up to the chassis, tact into position first and then seem weld. If the sides are gone as well, only weld to the bracket and underside of chassis only. DO NOT FEEL TEMPTED TO CUT TO MUCH CHASSIS AWAY AT ONCE. When the underside section is welded in cut out as much off the side as needed and weld new plate in, tack first then seem weld a bit at a time not to get it to hot, repeat on other side if needed. On the inside edge of the chassis the Trailing arm bracket comes up the side a short distance, this section would have been cut off earlier, so to add lost strength bend a section of steel so it can be welded on to the bracket and then up the side of the chassis, about 20mm each way is OK. Once done it will be as good as new. If the chassis is gone on the sides as well I would be tempted to butt weld the repair sections in place then put a larger piece over the top with holes drilled in it so it could be welded to the patch and original chassis for extra strength. It's a bit difficult to explain but I hope this helps. If you want PM me and I'll give you my phone number, I could explain better then. Good luck Mark.
    the difficult takes time, the impossible takes a little longer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information