Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Chevy 350 build spec

I appreciate this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but here goes:

I have a chevy 350 to rebuild for a model a project. It's low mileage and standard, with numbers that according to google suggest a 2 bolt passenger car, and will have a th350 behind it. I'm looking for a weiand 4x2 intake for 4 94 holleys which i'd ideally like setup on a progressive linkage of some sort (only cos they look pretty if I'm honest...).

Have a good machine shop nearby thanks to suggestions on here, but have a bunch of conflicting advice on spec, as most people presume I want nuts out full power spec. What I want to end up with is a torquey, driveable motor that above anything is strong - more street than street & strip. Have spent years tuning things to the point of being undriveable, so wanting something useable with just enough grin factor.

Does anyone have any advice in terms of cam choice, and also whether the standard iron heads with a cleanup will be fine, or whether ally ones would be better? Any suggestions on compression ratios? Is it worth boring it out? I'll need to import a rebuild kit - can anyone recommend a source?

New to v8 stuff so learning as I go - thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rust buster...
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bring the compression up to around 9.5:1 with some flat top pistons, cast hypereutectics will be fine and they are cheap. Iron heads will be OK if you dont want all out power. Big valve ones do appear on ebay occasionally. Stick below 220deg @ 0.050" duration and you wont need to go to a high stall converter and it'll still pull well.

Cams wise something like Lunati 60102 262/268 would be ideal Would make respectable torque.

Just my opinion and I am doing similar but going one stage further to 10:1, aluminium heads, 268/276 cam and 2200rpm stall

Lots of UK sources of parts too, becomes a bit ineffective cost wise unless you import over $1000 worth of stuff.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flak monkey View Post
    Bring the compression up to around 9.5:1 with some flat top pistons, cast hypereutectics will be fine and they are cheap. Iron heads will be OK if you dont want all out power. Big valve ones do appear on ebay occasionally. Stick below 220deg @ 0.050" duration and you wont need to go to a high stall converter and it'll still pull well.

Cams wise something like Lunati 60102 262/268 would be ideal Would make respectable torque.

Just my opinion and I am doing similar but going one stage further to 10:1, aluminium heads, 268/276 cam and 2200rpm stall

Lots of UK sources of parts too, becomes a bit ineffective cost wise unless you import over $1000 worth of stuff.
    I'd agree with all of the above. You can push the cam a LITTLE further in a light car but probably not worth it in this case. That Lunati grind will make the most of moderate static compression. Heads are a grey area. Pretty much all iron heads are useable, but some are better than others. The same goes for aftermarket heads. Some are only an improvement due to weight saving, while others will produce the goods right across your chosen rpm range.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a strong reliable engine for street use and already have the block rods crank & heads then pick a summit engine rebuild kit. upgrade to hypereutectics if you want. Get their 1105 cam & lifters, full gasket kit and you will have exactly what you want for around £300 + machine costs (get your machine shop to check the crank & rebore requirements before ordering). I'm doing the same build on a 350 for the wifes model A with 3 Rochesters. You dont have to go mad if you plan the build to match the requirements of the intended engine use.
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk who I'm proud to have sponsor my '57 Chevy race car. 9.3 @ 155.8 mph / 0-60 = 1.47 seconds! Street legal :-)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information