Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: chevy v8 350

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

chevy v8 350

can anybody tell me if they no of any chevy V8 with a Manual box, or even if there are any carn't seam to find any they all seam to b with auto boxes. how big a job is it too marry the a manual box to a regular chevey V8? when it comes to engines haven't very much experience so any help or advise u can give would b very much appreciated thanx Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They certainly can be had, just rarer than auto. Are you putting a manual into an auto car?, if so you'll need the bits for the back of engine, flywheel, pilot bushing etc, clutch assembly, rod linkages (is it going to be a manual rather than hydraulic set up?), also the different pedal box - manual cars usually have a smaller brake pedal. Original manual trans were clunky by today's standards but there are a lot of modern manual trans for V8s. Just be sure you don't pay 350 price for a 305. Friend of mine dropped a four speed into a Firebird in place of an auto and it was literally the first bit of car work he'd done.

Official RnS Addict biff.bailey's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    the small block chevy has had all manner of manual boxes behind it from the factory (not to mention aftermarket adaptors), it depends what sort of power you want to put through it really.
    Probably the most common manual box (and most likely the easiest to find) is the t5, as fitted to 3rd generation camaros, firebirds etc.
    my 78 z28 camaro had a 4 speed t10 box, but for ultimate factory strength, you need an m21 or m22 box, these were often fitted behind 454 motored corvettes and chevelles etc........good luck finding one for reasonable money though !
    I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE,AND SO DOES CHUCK!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hiya have quite a bit of expirence just all agricultural, haven't got any bits yet startin completly frm sctrach so can go in any direction at moment, just wantin a 350 with manual box i'll keep looking see if i can find 1 or the parts to marry the 2 together. also i see ur frm Wakefield not a million miles frm Ripon are there any clubs groups or gatherings any where round this area u know of? thanx

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Richy, if you're experience is agricultural you'll be at home with V8s and American manual boxes! I know there are a few rodders round the North Yorks area and the Leeds Cruise is a good meet during summer. Get down there from April onwards and you'll find plenty of inspiration. Is it a rod build you're planning?

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah hopefuly gona put the V8 into a pop if i can, got a few ideas just want t get started now, ill have t try n get t leeds if i can keen t meet ppl n get t a few shows, cheers for ya help

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

LightbulbBeen drooling over this...

Just as an example (other hot rod/kit car suppliers are available)

TKO500 Chevy V8

Lovely looking complete kit - maybe not that dear compared to buying 2nd hand/and or rebuilding etc.

Cheers
    KJ
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are planning in using BIVA then a rebuilt blocjk is better as you only have to meet emmissions spec for the date of original motor. A crate motor is classed as new and must meet modern specs plus VEL tax would be much higher as it would come into new rates.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

QuestionRe; engine blocks

Hi Kev,

I wondered about that when I noticed recently that you can buy a new !? Pre 86 'style', 2 piece seal SBC block.

So even if someone started casting new, for example, 850 Mini engines as an exact match to the original spec it would be no good. Despite the fact it's recreated for an original 60s/70s car with carb etc.

Can't see a use for the new/old SBCs then

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    VOSA are aware of those lumps with altered block numbers and to go throuh BIVA the actual block 'you' own has to be certified as old.

Last half of this article

Changes to Engine dating process for BIVA/SVA - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information