Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: clutch drag

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: clutch drag

Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Giev me an age/model for the engine and I can check if there are different slaves for it.
    its a 1974 105 type spider,engines out just about to order a new pressure plate,best play it safe now,i dont want it coming out again.
    strange thing is that it was fine going over and slowly got worse on the way back to the point of having to start it in gear cos it wouldnt go in,i drove it over the unit with a washer between the pushrod and the clutch arm,i could select gears ok but it slipped when i got to about 2500 rpm allso when i pulled the motor out there was a lot of ally dust in the bellhousing but cant see any wear on anything!! stange.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, horrible feeling time, check the endfloat on the crank before you go any further. Ali dust may be endfloat allowing excess travel of clutch AND flywheel causing flywheel to hit back of engine.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, horrible feeling time, check the endfloat on the crank before you go any further. Ali dust may be endfloat allowing excess travel of clutch AND flywheel causing flywheel to hit back of engine.
    oh **** i hope not,any ideas on what is exessive?are we talking a few thou or quite a bit more?
    ill get over first thing tomorow with my dial gauge.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I've no idea of what is excessive on them, just that ali dust and no sign of damage caused that thought to spring to mind. My mate blew his Pontiac V6 up last year, end float shim had disappeared and block had eaten about 20 thou into the crank...I know that one was excessive

I guess that if you pull the flywheel and the back of it / block / oil seal case is damaged then it is excessive or missing shim or something.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd rather mention it now than you have to pull it apart again if the full clutch kit doesn't work.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I've no idea of what is excessive on them, just that ali dust and no sign of damage caused that thought to spring to mind. My mate blew his Pontiac V6 up last year, end float shim had disappeared and block had eaten about 20 thou into the crank...I know that one was excessive

I guess that if you pull the flywheel and the back of it / block / oil seal case is damaged then it is excessive or missing shim or something.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd rather mention it now than you have to pull it apart again if the full clutch kit doesn't work.

excuse my ignorance but should there be a shim between the flywheel and block? i have changed the flywheel and certainly didnt notice any shim,i've only worked on harley engines and the crank endfloat is shimmed on the inside of the flywheels,i aint gonna sleep tonight!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yorkster View Post
    excuse my ignorance but should there be a shim between the flywheel and block?
    No, the crank thrust washers are between the block & the sides of the crank inside the engine itself, you have to have the sump off to see or change them.
    How'd the weekend go? Well, at the moment it looks like a dolphin that's been caught in a boats propeller.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not worked on Alfa lumps but most of the 4s I've worked on have either a seperate shim either side of the central bearing, or it's part of the main bearing shell itself. However, from vague memory the Volkswagen flat 4's use a shim somewhere ( you'll have to excuse me, it's about 20 years since I last rebuilt a VW lump). So not having worked on the Aflas I'm not exactly sure what they use .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 36 ,item 11 ,looks to be a full circle thrust washer but no real indication of it's location though the full circle would tend to suggest end of crank area

http://www.myalfa.eu/katalog/english/1/Alfetta.pdf

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Crank end float page 22, couldn't wait to see it all but looks like section on crank /flywheel reassembly in there also

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3031646/AL...icina-no-itali

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 36 ,item 11 ,looks to be a full circle thrust washer but no real indication of it's location though the full circle would tend to suggest end of crank area

http://www.myalfa.eu/katalog/english/1/Alfetta.pdf
    for some reason i cant get that to load but thanks anyway,i think ill get down there early tomorow morning and check the endfloat out,i've convinced myself thats what it is its now how to get it sorted,i guess i need to talk to classic alfa about it im sure they'll know the motors inside out,ill let you know my findings tomorow,thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information