Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: clutch drag

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: clutch drag

Also found original spec sizes here ,page 18

http://www.acl.com.au/web/aclwebsite.nsf/8df7d3f7b605537a4a2569660082eda8/7113cbfd5f1fc90a4a256967001949cb/$FILE/AB04.pdf

I'm still hoping this is all in vain, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yorkster View Post
    oh **** i hope not,any ideas on what is exessive?are we talking a few thou or quite a bit more?
    ill get over first thing tomorow with my dial gauge.
    I've never seen a crank endfloat figure larger than .008" or so on any car engine I've worked on. If a thrust washer has dropped out or failed in some way you'd be seeing .030" or more of endfloat; when this happens it usually causes major damage to the crank and the crankcase. So fingers crossed that it turns out to be some other fault that's causing your problem.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yorkster View Post
    for some reason i cant get that to load but thanks anyway,i think ill get down there early tomorow morning and check the endfloat out,i've convinced myself thats what it is its now how to get it sorted,i guess i need to talk to classic alfa about it im sure they'll know the motors inside out,ill let you know my findings tomorow,thanks for your help.

It doesn't show anything when you scroll the first couple of pages and then it appears.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stueeee View Post
    I've never seen a crank endfloat figure larger than .008" or so on any car engine I've worked on. If a thrust washer has dropped out or failed in some way you'd be seeing .030" or more of endfloat; when this happens it usually causes major damage to the crank and the crankcase. So fingers crossed that it turns out to be some other fault that's causing your problem.

Stu, its showing up as between 0.0030 - 0.0104 dependent on cc. I'm guessing it may have only just started to wear ( quickly) and it may be caught before it's edged the bearings.

Weird thing is that Pontiac was running fine with about .050 of end float , it was on an auto box though, no rumbles ,vibes or anything . It was tad too much timing on the strip ( not by me ) that resulted in it showing up.

Like I keep saying I'm hoping I'm wrong ,it's just that unexplained ali dust that made me think.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    right then,there was no noticeable endfloat on the crank and when i ran a magnet over the so called aluminium dust it picked it up!!then one of the blokes that was with us said that the output shaft's spigot was missing?? ive never split a car engine/box before so had'nt got a clue,the output shaft had 8mm of play on it and when i took the bell housing off you could see that the bearing had collapsed.
    i've bought a new/second hand box with the spigot end on it and it all mates up perfect,you can see where the other bit had been cut off on the old one(f**k knows why)so im thinking thats why i couldnt select gears.
    what do you think??
    oh yeah i've had enough now!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's good that you've found the fault. And it's even better that it wasn't a problem with the crank thrust washers.

Just one thing, don't want to teach granny to suck eggs etc. but did you or your mate check that the spigot bush in the end of the crankshaft was there/intact? if the spigot bearing isn't in good nick it will cause damage to the front bearing in your new gearbox in a fairly short time.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stueeee View Post
    It's good that you've found the fault. And it's even better that it wasn't a problem with the crank thrust washers.

Just one thing, don't want to teach granny to suck eggs etc. but did you or your mate check that the spigot bush in the end of the crankshaft was there/intact? if the spigot bearing isn't in good nick it will cause damage to the front bearing in your new gearbox in a fairly short time.
    yeah it was all good thanks,as for teaching me to suck eggs car engines are new to me so any info is cool,everything is back together now just got to put petrol in it and give it a run.
    cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information