Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

LightbulbCoil ohm test conclusive??

Howdy,

Was timing up the mill yesterday and my non dial back, simple strobe light went off as I revved it up!?

Tickover runs sweet as a nut, rev quickly and ok, hold revs past 1500 and strobe light goes mainly off and starts backfiring.

I did the ohms test on MSD Blaster 2 coil (second hand, at least 15 years old I think and only just put in to service).

It should be...

Primary 0.7 ohms. I got 1.5
    Secondary 4.5k. Can't remember lol will update later

Anyhoo, before I go back to it this sunny morning is this a conclusive test that it is good/bad?
    I know nowt about ohms and just going through this voodoo motion.

Engine also has a used MSD6AL, worked fine before and a recently serviced contactless distributor? (I will do the recommended msd box test too)

Many thanks
    Jimbo
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 26-02-2019 at 07:34.
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/choo...ignition-coil/

If I'm not sure what a coils up to I normally rig it up off the car and look of the quality of spark. There's another Pertoronic video about on how to do that .

Have to say all I keep hearing about with MSD is failed components. not first hand experienc ethough.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    what you describe is indicative of either coil or leads breaking down. Work out the values of the coil and test the secondary again, then test your leads. Maybe run the motor in the dark and look for any arcing that's a sign the leads insulation is breaking down

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok,

Just redone the coil test

Primary standard 0.7. I now read 1.2
    Secondary standard 4.5k. I got 10.4k

Did the MSD box test - flashed the distributor harness and no spark, there should be one, just a weird mouse squeak from the box. Unfortunately to double check it says I need another coil to prove one or the other.

The leads are almost new but will have a look!
    Jimbo
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 26-02-2019 at 16:56.

longroof society member yellacar's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi guys
    Not all timing lights work with MSD 6AL boxes because they are dual spark, if you research in to this you will find loads of conflicting answers as to which timing lights work with said boxes. some say the cheaper the timing light the better as it can only read the dual spark as one. some say expensive snap-on lights work but others say not so it seems to depend on what light you have, apparently some expensive digital ones are too sensitive and get confused with the twin spark of the MSD unit, believe me I spent hours and a few bob on cheap timing lights (that broke in a very short time) researching this topic.
    My conclusion was to buy a innova 5568a timing light cost me about £80_£85 and yes it dose work with a MSD 6AL ignition box. this may not be your problem but I hop it helps and helps others that are suffering the same problem.

Cheers Ian

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ian,

Yeah, I did buy a dial back light a coupla years ago only to find it was pants with the MSD box. I use the old light I bought in the 80s lol it's almost just a bulb with wires but does the job although now you've said it the timing does have a weird double take flash discernible to the eye.

I'm gonna get another coil after me hols and give it a all another go.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie boblester40's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Multi spark is only active sub 3000 rpm , so if checking total timing over your advance rpm it should not effect the gun .

If your lights going off and you are getting back firing that suggests you are loosing the spark.

Is the 6al wired correclty , what trigger do you have ?

Whats the 6AL rpm limit set at ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy.

OK, it's running the MSD6AL with 6000 chip.
    It was running fine inside car before engine bay fire.

Ditto the Pro Billet contactless distributor. All new parts fitted.

Replaced 750 carb with a refurbed 800.

Running it can be adjusted to give a good 12-15 reading on the exhaust thingybob.

Like I say before the bonfire it all ran sweet as a nut.
    I will double check all the wiring.

The only unknown is the coil as it was an old thing I had in a box for 15 years and it was old then - I have never used it till now so unsure if it was just passed on as crap to me. And in the interests of future reliability I'd probably renew it anyhoo.

cheers
    Jimbo

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, it's good to post the resolution.

In the end I swapped out the coil and bad box, redid a poor coil HT lead, redid timing blah blah and it was mucho better but no cigar.

Rechecked the new old carb to find the primary jet springs on the extreme setting. Swapped in some orange stockers BOOM!! Sorted. Purrs like a lazy lion, roars like a tyrannosaurus!!

Then blew the fecking oil pressure pipe off the block showering everything with hot Valvoline

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information