Cycle fenders - what size bar/rod /tube?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Cycle fenders - what size bar/rod /tube?

Much as I like the fenderless look, and I know lots manage to get away with it, but I want to make some cycle fenders.

So...

I dont want them wobbling about so what should I use to make the supports?

I was thinking of round stainless bar.
    But it has been suggested that tube would be better.

Grateful for your thoughts/experiences.

Ian
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used various types of materials and methods through the years and discovered the key is that you need lack of rigidity and no stress raisers . Solid bar IN tube always crack at the intersection. Tube crushed to flat always cracks at the crush point ( induced stresses ) i my experiences.

What I did on the POS was main mount made on 3/16ths or 1/4 thick going up and straight. From that point I made a curved 1/8th roll .I then bolted them together with a rubber washer so the 1/8th didn't bear directly on the the 1/4 allowing which removed the flex point. The idea is that each piece is allowed to vibrate as it needs but is still firm in its own right . I put many thousands of ( hard ) miles on it and they didn't break.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ian; What suspension do you have on the car they're going on? Kapri; You've given me an idea there. . On the Coupe I have flat bar but, they'd not be much good for you Ian as they do wobble a bit. Kapri; I don't suppose you have any photo's? Also, I think I know what the legal size of the cycle fenders should be (because a policeman told me when he pulled me up once) but....I'd rather hear it from Kapri.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I've used various types of materials and methods through the years and discovered the key is that you need lack of rigidity and no stress raisers . Solid bar IN tube always crack at the intersection. Tube crushed to flat always cracks at the crush point ( induced stresses ) i my experiences.

What I did on the POS was main mount made on 3/16ths or 1/4 thick going up and straight. From that point I made a curved 1/8th roll .I then bolted them together with a rubber washer so the 1/8th didn't bear directly on the the 1/4 allowing which removed the flex point. The idea is that each piece is allowed to vibrate as it needs but is still firm in its own right . I put many thousands of ( hard ) miles on it and they didn't break.
    Thanks Kev for a quick reply. But I'm lost! Got any pics to show what you mean? I had a curved 1/8 roll for lunch, was still hungry after.
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there is anything laid down in C&U but the standard chosen has always been " can't see the tread when looking directly from the top". IVA lays down tighter rules that the sidewall must also be covered and tells you from what o'clock to what other o'clock they should cover . Mine had slight wobble ,always will be some element but not enough to touch the tyres or break anything.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RockabillyBilly View Post
    Ian; What suspension do you have on the car they're going on? Kapri; You've given me an idea there. . On the Coupe I have flat bar but, they'd not be much good for you Ian as they do wobble a bit. Kapri; I don't suppose you have any photo's? Also, I think I know what the legal size of the cycle fenders should be (because a policeman told me when he pulled me up once) but....I'd rather hear it from Kapri.
    Its got 4 bar and panhard at the rear, I plan to pick up from the brackets on the axle where the 4 bar mounts. I guess its not the end of the world if they vibrate a bit, but dont want them flapping about too much or breaking, also want them close to tyres.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so Ian but I'll have a look.

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made mine using road pins, (the spikes you bang into Tarmac and tie rope to) strong as hell, easy to bend, weld and flex but don't break.

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chaley View Post
    I made mine using road pins, (the spikes you bang into Tarmac and tie rope to) strong as hell, easy to bend, weld and flex but don't break.

Chaley
    That stuffs called RAW BAR. It does seem to absorb vibration too
    I'm not the best welder in the world.... but I'm in the top 5!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chaley View Post

Chaley
    Thanks Chaley, Ive just ordered some 10mm road pins off ebay, the results will be on my build thread at some future time!

Thanks cc41 memorylane too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information