Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Diagnosing Electrical problems?

Despite a couple of weeks of complete personnal shyte, I'm now in a financial position to pay for transport to the MoT station, MoT and registration

However.... I have several electrical problems that have now decided to crop up and no matter how hard I stare at the car with a multi-meter in my hand, its a bit like trying to digest quantum physics.

Problems started a few weeks ago, prior to this everything worked perfectly. The wiring loom is brand new from the bulkhead forwards & the rear seat back, behind the dash & everything within the cockpit is good but original.

The problems (in order of appearance) are:

Wipers & washers stopped working. Pulled all the wires, prodded with a screwdriver, swore at it, nothing.

Live feed to distributor stopped working, zero voltage from it. Took a live feed straight from the battery & the cars starts first time.

Driving the car back into the garage last night & it stalled. It now will not turn over. Everything else works, I originally thought it was a poor earth, but no. Turn ignition on, leccy pump clicks away, but try to turn it over & nothing (fuel pump stops as well while trying to turn it over, pump is taken from an ignition controlled live). Doing this with lights on does not cause the lights to dim.

All fuses are okay.

Any advice on where to start first?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you got an electrical diagram for the car?

You've sworn at it already, so the next step is to get organised.

First thing I'd route out is that power to the coil. It could be the start of a few problems, as the ignition relay probably does quite a few little jobs.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The starting fault would make me look at ignition switch immediately . Be wary when messing with starter circuit on autos. My advice would be to put the back axle on stands to make sure no starting in gear whilst troubleshooting. A moments inattention coudl mean a crumpled car.

On the rest of the stuff verify where the circuits come from, direct from ignition or ignition via fusebox to see if that gives an idea of where to look .

Don't rule out a fault fusebox, even if new ( got the T shirt) .

On washers and wipers if they are fed from fuse box run a jumper lead from battery direct to fuse in EVEN if you you have voltage there sometines it's lack of amps that cause issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im with Kev concerning fuse box and ign switch (many a night at the road side due to a dirty fuse/connection at the fuse box)

As for not starting and the lights not dimming and with what Kev said about starting it being an auto could the inhibator switch gone down

Try shifting in and out of gear a few times bigbros shifter one wore and could be a real pain at times but only started to show symtoms after hes re-wire too
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back in after removing the fuse box & the underside looks like its been immersed in salt water for 50 years.... I'll investigate the inhibitor switch as well, but would that stop the fuel pump running when trying to start it? Fuel pump runs with ign "on" but when trying to crank, pump stops.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that mine does the same,

Could it be something that its always done but only now youve noticed due to other problems arising

Wiring confusses the hell out of me and is a real pain
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm Gary & I'm a :****er:.....

The one thing that my now departed Dad told me about cars was "never overlook the bloody obvious". I did.

The (new) loom plugs into the bulkhead & is responsible for all of the bits that have steadily stopped working. The final episode of the car not turning over was when the plug completely fell out of the socket. Yes, I have just noticed the plug hanging out of the socket, plugged it back in & EVERYTHING works. The gradual build up of problems must have been as the plug slowly worked itself out of the socket (the fit of the plug & socket can best be described as slack, like throwing a welly up Market Street....). In my defence, said plug is behind the engine block & not easy to spot.

I've got to sort the location of the two mating bits to keep them together, clean up the fuse box (even though it wasn't the culprit, I'd be stupid not to) and thats it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done in finding it or it could of been a real head ache rewiring again to find that halfway thu lol
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information