this is driving me nuts now!! pop which wont idle!?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

this is driving me nuts now!! pop which wont idle!?

Right, my mate bought a ford 103e the the other month its totally standard, and we cant get it to idle, when we went to look at it the idle was really high we assumed it just need adjusting as it ran and drove perfect... so we get it home alter the idle and it wont keep idling... the idle is all over the shot, up down up down, stall.... but revs up fine. Sometimes you can get it to idle quite low by fiddling with the mixture screw and idle but if you rev it, it cuts out once the revs drop back down. Im stumped now... we fitted a thottle shaft repair kit in the carb as that was worn to ****... iv rebuilt the feul pump, the dizzy and replaced the exhaust/inlet gasket. But still no change!

HELP!!! haha.

Cheers, Scott.
    "she may be rusted iron, but to me she's solid gold"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XskotyX View Post
    Right, my mate bought a ford 103e the the other month its totally standard, and we cant get it to idle, when we went to look at it the idle was really high we assumed it just need adjusting as it ran and drove perfect... so we get it home alter the idle and it wont keep idling... the idle is all over the shot, up down up down, stall.... but revs up fine. Sometimes you can get it to idle quite low by fiddling with the mixture screw and idle but if you rev it, it cuts out once the revs drop back down. Im stumped now... we fitted a thottle shaft repair kit in the carb as that was worn to ****... iv rebuilt the feul pump, the dizzy and replaced the exhaust/inlet gasket. But still no change!

HELP!!! haha.

Cheers, Scott.
    Check the points and timing and also compression check to make sure there isn't a hidden major problem. If you are having to richen it up to get it to idle check for air leaks at every gasket between carb base and block.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as kev says check for air leaks. easiest way is spray wd40 or similar around the carb and inlet gaskets when idling (fast if that's all it'll do). if the revs pick up any time it's running on the spray and you have a leak. if you don't want to strip and replace gaskets now a temporary fix/bodge is feed in a bit of silicon where the leak is when running. once sealed switch off and wait for it to set.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for the reply mate, we already fitted new points and condenser, tryed altering the timing but makes no difference.... so today took your advise and done a compression test... my tester seems a little ****y so I might borrow my mates and do it again.... but the results where all pretty similar though a tad low... each cylinder came up at around 130psi I think its supposed to be around the 155 mark... but if there all the same it could be down to having an overbore? The car does burn a little oil but nothing alarming. I sprayed aload of multi spray around the inlet again and the revs to pick up! So im wondering if theres a crack in the manifold somewhere... although I did notice that one of the bolts that bolt through the inlet mani and exhaust for the heat transfer part is screwed in wonky so weather its drawing air there? Anyways were poppong over to see bob wednesday get a new manifold and gasket off him. Fingers crossed this'll fix it haha

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check the points gap again as niggling away in my mind is the fact that one dizzy make gaps to 0.015 and the other to 0.025?

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Does it have vacuum wipers?
    Its either you lay down and die or you get on with your shit till you do!!!!! No Other Way Around It. One or the other. Don't worry about being forgotten, you will. Rather worry about in how long it will take for you to be forgotten, bro.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    /\ Good one Andy ! I'd ruled out servo leak in my head .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm... I always set my 100e motor in my model Y to .014 so thats what I set the pop engine too. It does have vacuum wipers but I tryed disconnecting them and blocking the pipe but it still runs the same so I ruled out a leak in the vacuum system already. Cheers for all the help! Any other ideas shout them out! And when iv sorted the manifold i'll let you know the results as I'll but totally stumped if that dosnt sort it haha.
    Cheers again guys

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does sound like the hot spot may have a hole in it. I did away with the hot spot entirely on one of mine as the carb was getting very hot - dont remember this happening when the cars were dailys. Anyway, I seperated the two parts of the manifold and cut them back as far as possible. Then I welded plates into the square holes in each manifold. This replicates the arrangement on the 4-branch manifolds used on specials. The carb now stays coolish. The engine warms up quickly so I didn't see any need for a hotspot these days anyway.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right, I fitted the new inlet and exhaust manifold with all new gaskets tonight... and she still runs like a dog! No change what so ever! It still seems like a air leak! But iv replaced and rebuilt anything that could be letting air by. So now im pinning it down to the carb... as one thing I noticed is that the mixture screw dosnt do anything! You can wind it right in and it runs just tge same to if it was wound right out... is there anything to look for? Could have a hairline crack or a pin hole somewhere in the carb? I dunno haha im running out of options haha... jm getting fed up and its not even my car!

Cheers for all the ideas so far chaps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information