DVLA problems regarding engine swap - a warning!
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

DVLA problems regarding engine swap - a warning!

I'm currently modifying my Austin A35 - nothing too extreme, compared with what we rodders often see. One of the common changes, which I have done, is to swap the engine from a 948 to a midget 1275. No monocoque modifications are needed, it just bolts straight in. Being fairly diligent regarding legal requirements in March I sent my V5 to the DVLA to notify them that I'd changed the engine on my A35 to a 1275.

As I understood it, from the guidance the DVLA provide, if increasing the engine size you only needed to send details of the new capacity and the engine number - it's only when decreasing the capacity, which may have an impact on the amount of car tax to pay, depending on the age of the vehicle, that you have to provide evidence regarding the new engine size. Regardless of this I provided details of the engine number, capacity, photos of the engine and engine plate, and a copy of the receipt (which included the engine number) - the engine was purchased privately, rather than from a garage.

6 weeks later I received the V5 back, with no change to the details, and a letter stating that I must provide evidence of either:

- a receipt of purchase of the engine from a garage on headed paper (which obviously I can't do, and they would have known this from my covering letter)
    - an inspection report from an organisation such as the AA or RAC (I work on the car myself to save money - I'm not going to spend any that could go on the car on effectively nothing)
    - an inspection report provided for insurance purposes (?)
    - written confirmation from the manufacturer showing the engine number and size (could be tricky)

The other thing questioned was "very few manufacturers produce an engine size of exactly 1275. If your evidence does not provide an accurate engine size it may be rejected".

I subsequently obtained a copy of a garage receipt from the person I bought the engine from (this related to his purchase of the engine from a garage). I found out the bore and stroke of the 1275 engine, and I calculated the capacity as 1273cc. I sent this information, along with a covering letter, to the DVLA.

Today I received a reply, from the same person as before. It was an almost identical letter to the last one, except for the statement: "very few manufacturers produce an engine size of exactly 1273. If your evidence does not provide an accurate engine size it may be rejected"!

So I have provided evidence of my purchase receipt, previous purchase from a garage, photos of the engine, showing the engine number, and a mathematically calculated capacity, but it's still not as good enough for the halfwits from the DVLA. Regarding the engine size I can't imagine what they want now (maybe I should state it to several decimal places).

I have e-mailed a complaint to them, and will let you know how I get on.

The main lesson I've learnt is that these cretins are doing their best to kill off our hobby. I have tried to be diligent and provide, what I would regard, as acceptable and strong evidence of the modification to my vehicle. However, given my experience of dealing with them and their incompetence I would not recommend that anyone informs them of such minor changes to their vehicles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DVLA problems regarding engine swap - a warning!

The rules re notifying them on ANY engine changes, with full supporting evidence, have actually been in place for over 2 years now.

We reported this back in June 08

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/dvla-engin...n-changes.html

If you want to keep up to date with changing legislation it's worth popping by the ACE site (www.the-ace.org.uk) every so often. Recent updates have been added in Current Legislation section .

As an aside they can fine you if the details in the V5C are not correct , carries a maximum of £1000

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears the 1275 actually IS a 1275

http://www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?engineaseriesf.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

So in short then what is it we have to supply for an easy update of the v5 in this instance

(foresee a new engine change soon)
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Your firstborn.
    Last edited by kapri; 07-05-2010 at 20:52.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Click on the ACE link Vince and we link there to the DVLA site showing requirements .

An extract

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine
    * written evidence from the manufacturer
    * an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
    * written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Kev, i said in short not in their language
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

good job i already have over 8 litres on my V5 then..
    Dealing with the DVLA is akin to pulling teeth out with a rusty pair of pliers..
    Europe's quickest and fastest street legal car. 4.09 @ 191 - 6.27 @ 237mph so far...
    IVA legal too!
    Penn Autos/Andy Frost race transmissions.
    www.redvictor1racing.co.uk

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

So, the Pops logbook is a 2000cc, if I now go to them and say it's a 2974cc I have to get a headed notepaper thingy from a garage saying they sold me the engine and fitted it correctly???

In real world terms, my mate swapped the 4 for the 6, I bolted it up, and thats that???

So, DVLA will want to inspect the pop???

Yeah right...

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

iv done 5 engine swaps for people in the last 6 months and each time iv just sent a letter stating the new cc, engine number etc along with the v5 and they have come back up-dated without any problems, maybe the suns been shinning on me for a change

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information