Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Early ford rear wheel bearing repair

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  66elcamino 
#1 ·
Hi, Has anyone used a bearing repair sleeve for their early Ford banjo axle rear wheel bearing, my axle has some pitting on the lower part of the race. Have got the sleeves but need info on who can do the machining and whether the are any good in the long term. Cheers

#4 ·
have sleeved shafts in the past but can you get shaft machined slightly smaller and use a mix and match of bearings a good bearing supplier could advise on what inner can work with what outer, you can mix metric and imperial if you need to. so no need for a sleeve, have done this a few times with good results

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Spoke to Belcher and they want a huge amount to do them £350 each!!!!!!!!. I'm looking into getting sealed bearings but as yet all sizes would need some kind of machining, either on the axle or in the hub, I'll keep on looking. TA

#10 · (Edited)
Hi, checked with some bearing suppliers and sadly the bearings are either too big in both i/d & o/d or it would mean machining both hub and axle race. Checked the internet and there are no "kits" available in the states, a guy from NZ did it using 2 bearings and spacers etc but he had access to the equipment needed,big lathe etc. That's the problem finding the machine shop.
I don't mind paying a sensible rate as I have 4 bearing sleeves to do.Gladly accept any ideas. Cheers

#12 · (Edited)
You are correct Jack ,it's the bearing race on the axle trumpet that is pitted and needs sleeving. Sadly flipping the sides only works where the spring perch bolts to the housing like 1935/36, these are welded and handed. Most machining companies these days are simply not interested or will do a large batch , most do not have the turning/grinding facilities (round here at least) it needs a large lathe. Cheers.

#14 ·
Hi trevd, yes that's the outer race on the axle trumpet, the biggest problem is the spring perch sticking out from the trumpet, lathe needs a large swing. Also the bearing race will be hard and needs to be machined within 0.0005" according to the instructions. If you are able to take the job on it would be great, let me know. Cheers

#16 ·
Hi trevd, dimensions are:-from centreline of axle tube the spring perch sticks out 220mm, total length of tube 695mm, I/D of end to be machined 33mm, total O/D of belled end 253mm. There is a small register at the belled end about 4mm deep and O/D of 220mm. Let me know if you need anything else. Cheers for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.