Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Edelbrock carb adjustment

Does anyone now how to work out what jets/needle combo to use for a edelbrock performer 1405 on a 305 Chevy

It feels like it bogs when the secondaries open, i know i have asked this before on a different forum and i was grateful for the advice but was too embarrassed to state that it went over my head

I was going to re jet it as per the 500cfm for the 4.6 rover as i think that they have more hp than my 305

Stock 305 130-170bhp from factory

and i tried a 670 Holley but couldn't even get the car to move with out stalling

EDITED its definitely a 1405
    Last edited by vince-305; 25-08-2009 at 09:42. Reason: Just went out and confirmed its a 1405
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manual or vacuum secondaries?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    vac sec Kev

I have the manual but i think its written in gobbledygook and the diagrams aren't even in English
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! GOLDFINK's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Rejetting elderbrock carb

Hi Kev,
    Hope this helps,The 500cfm has 86 primary and 95 secondary jets.Elderbrock recommend for the dual 500 on a mildly tuned 350,86 primary and 77 secondary jets ,68-052 metering rods and orange step up spring.You will need the tuning kit by1486.Nice car by the way,i was following you at old warden cruise in a gold model a coupe.
    regards Chris

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDFINK View Post
    Hi Kev,
    Hope this helps,The 500cfm has 86 primary and 95 secondary jets.Elderbrock recommend for the dual 500 on a mildly tuned 350,86 primary and 77 secondary jets ,68-052 metering rods and orange step up spring.You will need the tuning kit by1486.Nice car by the way,i was following you at old warden cruise in a gold model a coupe.
    regards Chris
    Cheers Goldfink but i only have a single on a GM intake all it is, is i dont want to be buying jets after jets if i can buy just 1 set
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vince, you've fitted a performance cam in the engine ? It could be that the lower vacuum it causes is making the secondaries come in early and creating a rich situation? Get someone to follow you as you floor it and watch if black smoke comes out the exhaust, it would give a pointer to if it's rich or lean.

Goldfink, you were following me on the S/Nats cruise, or Vince ??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Vince, you've fitted a performance cam in the engine ? It could be that the lower vacuum it causes is making the secondaries come in early and creating a rich situation? Get someone to follow you as you floor it and watch if black smoke comes out the exhaust, it would give a pointer to if it's rich or lean.

Goldfink, you were following me on the S/Nats cruise, or Vince ??
    Kev, std 350 cam and stinks of neat fuel
    i didnt go old warden so must of been you Chris was following
    Last edited by vince-305; 02-09-2009 at 17:28.
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it have a flap like a choke in the secondaries part of the carb body?
    If so maybe that needs adjusting, mine used to bog and it was down to that needing to be adjust right.
    Mine didn't have enough tension on it to keep it closed until the secondaries opened.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmsey View Post
    Does it have a flap like a choke in the secondaries part of the carb body?
    If so maybe that needs adjusting, mine used to bog and it was down to that needing to be adjust right.
    Mine didn't have enough tension on it to keep it closed until the secondaries opened.
    It has some weighted flaps that just seem to do nothing as you look from the top of the carb in the secondaries but couldnt tell you what they do while driving

and i havnt found anyone brave enough to sit under there while i drive it like i stole it to see

I was tempted to remove them (1 item) as i couldnt tell ya how its sposed to work or if they do or not apart from flapping in the wind they dont seem to attach to anything and the carb has been striped down a few times before i actually got it so not to sure if there in the right way (just thought of that )
    Last edited by vince-305; 06-09-2009 at 17:57.
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's

Official RnS Addict old pizz yella's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    on the edelbroc carbs they are really easy to twiddle with ,
    on tickover it runs on the 2 screws on the front of the carb same as holleys normal setting is turn them in snug then back them out 2 full turns (starting point ajust from there to suit your motor )
    acceleration is mainly on the fuel pump that can be seen on the side of the carb with 3 holes init the hole closest to the carb is the longest stroke giving most fuel and so on
    the needles are a doddle to mess with just under a little screw on flap on top of the carb they have 2 stages thin at the bottom fat at the top ,the spring sits under the cup that holds the needle these works on vacume ,so at low throttle you get higher vac so the the needle is able to suck down into the primery jet so the fat bit of the needle is sat in the jet (letting it run lean )
    When you mash the loud peddle the vac lessens allowing the spring to expand lifting the needle so that the thin bit of the needle is sitting in the primery jet letting it run ritch ,after that the secondrys kick in
    So if its bogging on part throttle it sounds like the next sring weaker so it holds down in lean a little bit longer ,
    Your needles will have numbers on them that match to the book you can work out the size ,wouldent think that the jets need changing
    i got a jet kit of duksville for about £45 and you get a fair bit of stuff in there .
    The alternative would be ring their call line they are very helpful for the cost of one phone call
    hope this helps probly wont
    ps the weights are counter weights to stop the secondrys flapping in the wind so dont take em off lol
    just read that it has been stripped before you got it hmm may have been rejetted from standard you might have to take the jets , needles and springs out and just check them against your book to make shure you have standard stuff
    Last edited by old pizz yella; 09-09-2009 at 21:12.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information