Electric fan Q [emoji106]
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie C10apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    145
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    C10apache is offline

    Electric fan Q

    Hi folks my electric fan comes on as soon as I turn the key (previous owner) which is annoying to say the least, I've seen thermostat ones that screw into the inlet manifold and get wired to the fan, is this easy enough to do??

    Can anyone who has this set up recommend a kit?

    Regards Stuart

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie C10apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    145
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    C10apache is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by C10apache View Post
    Hi folks my electric fan comes on as soon as I turn the key (previous owner) which is annoying to say the least, I've seen thermostat ones that screw into the inlet manifold and get wired to the fan, is this easy enough to do??

    Can anyone who has this set up recommend a kit?

    Regards Stuart

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking of one something like this one, I take it my current power cable to my electric fan would go on the terminal on the thermostat!??

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Official RnS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    6,491
    Images
    2222
    Post Thanks / Like
    nobody is offline
    yes you can use that.i use simular ones on everything here,

    dont forget to put in an over ride switch
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

    | 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie C10apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    145
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    C10apache is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    yes you can use that.i use simular ones on everything here,

    dont forget to put in an over ride switch
    OK cool thanks, not sure what you mean by a override switch is that a relay??

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Official RnS Addict timbo56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    S E London
    Posts
    839
    Images
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    timbo56 is offline

  8. #6
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie C10apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    145
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    C10apache is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo56 View Post
    Cheers never seen one like that tbh, what temp setting do you set on the dial??

    I've noticed when running my truck it sits around 160f

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  9. #7
    Administrator blackpopracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    8,617
    Images
    1752
    Post Thanks / Like
    blackpopracing is offline
    A couple of questions;

    1. fan runs when ign on - constantly? or just when hot?
    2. how is the fan switched at present - or is it on permanently?

    160 degrees is too cold, you need a minimum of 180 to 190 to burn off the soot on your valves and have an efficient burn in the engine.
    An override switch it to manually force the fan on in case the switch fails or if you want extra cooling (like in a traffic jam) this is a switch with a relay to power the fan.

  10. #8
    Official RnS Addict timbo56's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    S E London
    Posts
    839
    Images
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    timbo56 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by C10apache View Post
    Cheers never seen one like that tbh, what temp setting do you set on the dial??

    I've noticed when running my truck it sits around 160f

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I've got a 180 deg thermostat and the fan is set around the same temp so it runs around 180-185 degrees. I did have a 190 deg in it but it tended to get too hot on hot days with not much leeway.

  11. #9
    Stroker Kustom Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    4,729
    Images
    2608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kustom Jim is offline
    I just have mine wired with that sensor thing with ignition on.

    I have deleted the optional switch to turn fan on early as you see a traffic jam looming but that's a load of cobblers. If it overheats in traffic it's an issue to resolve really. Imo My early on switch backfed and if left switched on the engine wouldn't stop when ignition switched off. Google says it can happen and is backfeeding!? My mot guy rang me saying he couldn't shut the bloody car down lol (he switched it on )

  12. Likestimbo56 liked this post
  13. #10
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie C10apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    145
    Images
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    C10apache is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    A couple of questions;

    1. fan runs when ign on - constantly? or just when hot?
    2. how is the fan switched at present - or is it on permanently?

    160 degrees is too cold, you need a minimum of 180 to 190 to burn off the soot on your valves and have an efficient burn in the engine.
    An override switch it to manually force the fan on in case the switch fails or if you want extra cooling (like in a traffic jam) this is a switch with a relay to power the fan.
    The fan is on as soon as I turn the key only way to turn it off is to turn off the truck!!!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Air cleaner Q [emoji106]
      By C10apache in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-04-2019, 20:02
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 14-06-2015, 18:34
    3. electric fan and mting bracket
      By spondon in forum Stuff - FOR SALE
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-12-2009, 08:24
    4. 11" electric fan
      By cjh in forum Stuff - FOR SALE
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 17-09-2009, 20:05
    5. mr gasket electric 16 inch fan
      By Five-Five in forum Stuff - WANTED
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 14-07-2009, 00:45

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •