Emergency petrol cap - Will it decompose?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Stay cool, admit nothing Dig these feet's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Emergency petrol cap - Will it decompose?

About three years ago I had to use one of those plastic emergency petrol caps on my Moto Guzzi California II. I'd left the proper one at a filling station. Doh!

Anyway, a few days later when the replacement arrived, I tried to remove the emergency cap. It was right wedged in and when I gave it a good old yank, the bottom dropped into the tank. Double doh! The bottom bit looked like spirally plastic. Couldn't figure out a way of getting it out, so I left it there.

Just lately the bike has been a fecken pig to start, especially from cold, and ticks over real lumpy. Yup, it's an old Italian bike and it's winter. What's new? I'll get the carbs off and clean them at the weekend. If they turn out to be all ****ty, could it be that the sodden plastic is rotting away in the tank contaminating the petrol? And if so, how am I gonna get the ******* thing out?

Ideas, chaps?

Thanks - Jez

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest thing to do is to find out what material it was made from and do a bit of research. TBH, I doubt it would be aattacked by the fuel, otherwise it would be a pointless tool

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers. I guess my worry is that these plastic petrol caps aren't normally submerged in petrol and are only meant for short-term emergency use.

Can't find what type of plastic they're made from. But I have now found a manufacturer's website. If there's anything untoward in me carbs, I'll give them a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by fozwanger View Post
    Easiest thing to do is to find out what material it was made from and do a bit of research. TBH, I doubt it would be aattacked by the fuel, otherwise it would be a pointless tool

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How difficult is it to remove the tank, turn it over and then pull the offending cap out with some long nosed pliers or similar?
    Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorama View Post
    How difficult is it to remove the tank, turn it over and then pull the offending cap out with some long nosed pliers or similar?

First bit's easy. The hard bit is pulling the bugger out. When it first fell in, I got hold of it with some pliers but couldn't get it through the hole. Problem is the spiral 'fins' spread out so they're bigger than the aperture. If that makes sense.

With hindsight, I shouldn't have forced the emergency cap on in the first place. Then I wouldn't have snapped the bloody thing trying to pull it off. But, then again, if it's possible to screw up the simplest of jobs, I'm yer man. :****er:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information