Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine condensation in valve cover

How much emulsified oil would you expect to have in a valve cover after only a month of daily running , bearing in mind I have only been doing about 5 miles each way most days.
    I took the valve cover off to set the valves on my 3.3 Cresta engine today now everthing has settled down and was suprised that the top of the cover had a thick coating of emulsified oil, the engine oil is still clean I changed it 2 weeks ago but for the first couple of weeks I used 15/40 diesel multigrade to flush the engine out as it had been stood for a long time .
    Could it be the 15/40 oil that caused it as its a detergent oil or just that its been so damp recently and the engine as hardly had chance to warm up, there are no other signs of the head gasket leaking , I am now using 20/50 and apart from a slight misfire midrange the car is now running great , no overheating , the spark plugs are clean and all the same colour .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dave 62 pb View Post
    How much emulsified oil would you expect to have in a valve cover after only a month of daily running , bearing in mind I have only been doing about 5 miles each way most days.
    I took the valve cover off to set the valves on my 3.3 Cresta engine today now everthing has settled down and was suprised that the top of the cover had a thick coating of emulsified oil, the engine oil is still clean I changed it 2 weeks ago but for the first couple of weeks I used 15/40 diesel multigrade to flush the engine out as it had been stood for a long time .
    Could it be the 15/40 oil that caused it as its a detergent oil or just that its been so damp recently and the engine as hardly had chance to warm up, there are no other signs of the head gasket leaking , I am now using 20/50 and apart from a slight misfire midrange the car is now running great , no overheating , the spark plugs are clean and all the same colour .
    Using a thermostat? - if not there may be your answer!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi thanks for the reply , yes Iv`e got thermostat in and it seems to be working ok but as top of rad gets hot and water is circulating with no bubbles, could be worth replacing with a highter temp one , will investigate further .

Thanks Dave

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not try running with part of rad blocked off to see if higher running temperature helps the problem.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is your rocker cover got a breather???? I blocked mine of amd it happened to me. if you have a breather make sure its clean.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say doing 5 miles each way it's just not getting hot enough.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do these motors have a breather or PCV ?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar problem with the old Merc, I was doing 8 miles twice a day to and from work. Whilst tinkering about with it one day I noticed emulsified oil in the oil filler cap, I took a rocker cover off and that had emulsified oil aswell.

That's when the old brain starts panicking, ****, head gasket? cracked something? etc etc...

There were no other signs of trouble anywhere. I changed the oil and filter, cleaned the crap out of the top of the engine and used it to and from work again. Within a week the emulsification started again, ****!

Whilst this was going on our company restructured and as a result my place of work was now 22 miles away instead of 8. I used the Merc for the first week thinking something may go wrong but to my relief the contrary happened! It turns out that the engine was not getting warm enough to dispell the condensation build up from not warming up for long enough.

This may not be your problem but the symptoms sound identical.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies, The late 3.3 engine I have in now only has 1 breather on the valve cover that goes into the air filter , the old 2.6 had 1 on the valve cover that went into the inlet manifold and 1 on the side plate on the block.
    When I changed the engine I used the 2.6 water pump and thermostat (a recent new one ) but the 3.3 runs cooler on the temp gauge for some reason, I`me hoping this is what the proplem is,
    going to investigate today as soon as it stops raining , will also restrict the air flow on the rad as suggested.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Don't forget the oil filer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information