Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

engine oil and filter, ?

what would you put in 1970 chevy 350,4 bolt? was thinking k an n 3002,? is that correct? and 10/40?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

TechnicalTom
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engine Oil and Lubricants Castrol UK - CLASSIC ENGINE OILS Have a look at the Castrol site, and if your engine has flat tappets , maybe you should Google the benefits of using Zinc additives.With oil filters the newness of the filter is quite often more important than the brand name, K+N is a good choice.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    20/50, that's what it was designed for and no newer spec than SE ( that's when they removed the zinc as it was incompatible with cat convertors. Having just been involved with an engine mullered by a crap filter ( Coopers) I'd stay away from high street brands unless a well known and respected type. I've taken to used Mahle as they are original equipment on many top end motors.

Don't forget regular oil changes as they are not long service intervals like modern stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use kendall 20/50 oil in my chevy 350
    livin' on beer 'n' jaffa cakes -one box per pint

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran Duckhams in the Crate motor. I have cheap 20/50 in the 327 and will run it on Duckhams again. I did use Halfords old school oil, in a green and cream can, feels nice between yer fingers and no probs. Good oil pressure as well!
    If I wasn't meant to go that fast, the pedal would only go half way!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure that the Halfords oil is Duckhams anyway .

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get through about 45 gallons of engine oil a month here and we put the same stuff in everything. It always concerned me that certain motors diesel or petrol required a certain grade of oil and a one fits all was not the answer. Now this is how it was explained to me by the oil rep prior to purchase. A modern 10/40w semi synthetic basically supersedes in spec anything that was available when all these 10 year old + engines were built and every year its upgraded again . We have been running this stuff in all the v8`s,artics,plant and cars for years now with no problems at all. I am not saying its the ultimate in oils but I dont think anyone would see a benefit in a better oil unless it was a full race competition motor. Save your money

Bob

What the rep was basically saying was you cant buy an engine oil as bad as the stuff available 10 years ago
    Last edited by robo1; 30-04-2013 at 10:31.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That rep wants sacking!! You can easily blow up engines by running the wrong spec.

The biggest concern across the 'net at the mo is the failure of flat tappet cams shortly after break in . It is believed that this is caused by the reduction of ZDDP that is a friction modifier. The PPM was reduced after SE spec as it damages catalytic convertors. Lack of it damages flat tappet cams

Modern engine have longer service intervals and run at much different temperatures to older motors as well .That's without even thinking of the differences in oil pressure that different viscocities bring, that in turn can lead to premature opening of internal reliefs valves etc.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    That rep wants sacking!! You can easily blow up engines by running the wrong spec.

The biggest concern across the 'net at the mo is the failure of flat tappet cams shortly after break in . It is believed that this is caused by the reduction of ZDDP that is a friction modifier. The PPM was reduced after SE spec as it damages catalytic convertors. Lack of it damages flat tappet cams

Modern engine have longer service intervals and run at much different temperatures to older motors as well .That's without even thinking of the differences in oil pressure that different viscocities bring, that in turn can lead to premature opening of internal reliefs valves etc.
    I would get him the sack if we ever had a problem but this stuff is running everything from a 14ltr truck engine to a flat tappet solid lifter v8 to a tractor and all the fleet vehicles, all this stuff is given a right hammering and we have never had an engine fail through lack of lubrication. I am not saying there are not better oils just do you really need them. in my experience most flat tappet cams are stuffed through long periods of idling while cold and are not getting splash lubed like they would on a rev or up to temp.

bob

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re your last sentence, yup , and there's where the levels of ZDDP are critical !!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information