Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Essex V6/Auto help needed...

Righto, I have been told today that when I converted the free leetah to an auto that as well as removing the spigott bearing from the crank and using the two washers for the flexplate, that I should have also used a spigott for the t/c...

Can anyone either confirm or deny the above statement...??

Really don't think I used a spigott (although it was about 5 years ago)

If I should have and I haven't this would probably explain the noise I'm getting from in the bellhousing...!!

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

complete knob..apperantly pompeypaul's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    when i worked in the breakers yard i can't remember seeing any auto engine with a spigot bearing, i could be wrong though !!

Banned
    BRITAINS FASTEST STREET LEGAL VAN HEAD QUARTERS
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spigot? not on the auto. Some converters have a short stub to help centre the fitting when bolting the converter on. All the flexi plates are machine centred for accuracy so they run true.Sounds as tho you may have a cracked plate or it has worked loose,the flexi to converter and flexi to engine should be thread locked when bolting up

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    On some auto stuff I've fiddeled with, in the back of the crank where the spigot bearing for the manual box would be, was a machined chap, that looked like a big spigot bearing, but was steel so not a bearing. this was there to support the nose of the torque converter and to centre it properly. The only ones I remember properly was a precrossflow Corsair auto and Cortina Mk1. I havent played with lots of autos though, so it may not be the norm. I thought that all auto stuff would have it, for the reasons I stated earlyer. Obviously the converter dont turn in this support, it turns with it. Other stuff may have the snout of the converter that fits nice in the crank spigot hole, as in the snout o/d fits the spigot o/d. So if its ment to fit stright in the hole in the crank, I think yours should not be a problem(not fitting some thing when you went to auto), but if its ment to have the machined chap (snout adaptor, or what ever its called) to match the o/d of the tc to the o/d in the crank, then the converter may not be in true, and is off center, if you catch my drift?
    Martin.

I'm a grown up member now ! hotrod1935's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi guy its dean, back from your other thread, not alway on here , however ,
    it not strictly speaking a bearing, its a spacer /locating ring that fits in the back of the crank where a spigot bearing would be, and there are two types early and late, depending on the size of you converter stub
    hopefully the imge below shows left early spacer( bigger diameter), middle later ( smaller diameter) and a manual spigot bearing right
    hope helps
    dean.m
    p.s they are like rocking horse poo! and a nightmare to remove without a puller.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hotrod1935; 17-08-2012 at 10:42.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all thanos for the replies... Dean now you come to mention it I am sure I did get one from the Capri Clinic I chucked the receipt out the other month...!!! Anyways gonna have a look at the flexplate tomorrow and if nothing is conclusive its all gonna have to come out for a looksee...

I'm a grown up member now ! hotrod1935's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi guy
    now you mention it i thought we got all the bits together at roughly the same time, from same places, my trouble seems to be the engine was a manual and now its auto and i am suffering vibrations, i am told by a good essex expert i should have had the crank,f pulley and flex plate ( and pref t convertor ) all balanced together ! and in all honesty there is a big weight on the flex plate which may not be in the right place so may make sence!so over winter its all commimg out to be balanced.
    cheers dean.m

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dean, I'm sure the flexplate can only go on one way as the bolt holes aren't equidistant...???

I was certain that the flywheel on an Essex is part of the whole balancing deal, not sure about the flexplate etc though...

I'll find out more tomorrow about mine...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many moon's ago I built the wife a willys truck on a scimitar chassis - it was a manual and I wanted a auto so I swapped it with a chap with a auto . I just bolted it up no vibrations or any problems , it was still in the car last time I looked
    O.F.F.O

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    All sorted, once we had managed to get the damn thing on the wheel ramps I had borrowed (they kept slipping forward until I braced them off the wall with tube!!) tightened up the T/C bolts and found a bolt that was holding the spacer plate in place was just catching the T/C bolts, so it came out and was thrown down the road...

All is now good, there is a video of it on facebook, just search for Guy Davenport (thinks it's 'public') if not can someone cleverer than me nick it off there for me...???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information