Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, brading I don't know your 'proper' name, but I'm going to go through what you have said, then chuck some fuel in it to see if anything has made any difference, if not, Kev I'll chuck it in a box and send it to you...!

Ta all...

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thoroughly check the distributor cap for any sort of crack or any tracking. Tried to find some info on your distributor and all I have found so far is that the Black Capped one is a Motorcraft one. My names Paul by the way. Try moving the rotor arm in the direction of travel it should move a little bit and then then when you let go it should return to where it was. This is just the vacunm advance that advances the iginition when you press the throttle down hard then it returns to the where it was before. one other thing I have thought of And you need to do this in the dark such as in garage with the door closed, get some one to press hard down on the acclerator pedal with the engine running while you look to see if there is any arcing acuring. Then open the garage door.
    Last edited by brading; 20-02-2015 at 09:27.

m
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend with a very similar sounding problem, when I looked into it he'd had the carb apart & re-fitted one of the upper venturis the wrong way round so that the fuel couldn't get through on one side of the carb, it ran fine on tickover & revved up well, but as soon as you put any load on it the thing spluttered & died, maybe worth looking at?

starting to crawl back up spanners's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok,ok,,, nobody has mentioned ,vacume, i take it that its auto box and probably a C4 or C6 has the box got a modulator on it ,,i.e,, is there a vac pipe going to the box
    if so disconnect it and blank it on the carb/manifold side and try it again .

let me know how you get on ,
    will you please stop kicking me when i,m down and just help me back up thank you

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok chaps, update time...

I've completely ********ed up the wiring to the alternator, but I now know what should go where, BUT I'm stuck with some terminology, what is the alternator exciter wire???

I'm using a Keep It Clean PRO15 kit, and it has an alternator exciter wire that comes from the fuse box, I need to connect the alternator to an ignition live wire (can you see what I did wrong??!!) would this be it???

I also need to use a warning lamp, but there is no mention of this in the instructions, and I also don't have any bulbs in the Moggie speedo...

I have a tame auto sparky that can come and help, but not for a while, and I want to get cracking on it to get to the bottom of things and actually get it MOT'd and insured so we can use the damn thing...!!!

Mike, it is an auto, a C3, it does have a modulator and it is connected, I'll go through the other bits and then check that, don't want to do too many things and not find out the actual issue.

Plan is:

1) wire alternator properly
    2) check coil and points etc
    3) chuck some fuel in and try it
    4) check the vacuum system
    5) then if all else fails Kev can have me carb...!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and thanks Paul for your advise, it's all been taken on board (well, it's all above for me to come back to...!!!)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it the exciter wire fuse is only powered up when you turn the igition on. The exciter wire goes to the IG terminal on the alternator.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it there is a picture of your dash in your build thread. Found it. I would get in touch with some one such as Charles Ware morris Minor Centre parts number 01255315499 and see if they can just supply a Ignition Bulb holder and bulb or you could try for one in the wanted parts on here. Another option would be to put one of them aftermarket bulb holder on your dash opposite side to your ignition switch then run a wire from the alternator L terminal to one side of the bulb and a wire from the other side to the Ignition switch terminal that is live when the ignition is turned on.
    Last edited by brading; 20-02-2015 at 20:31.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brading View Post
    I take it the exciter wire fuse is only powered up when you turn the igition on. The exciter wire goes to the IG terminal on the alternator.
    That's what I'm going to check today Paul, I'm also going to buy a generic dash bulb to put into the ammo box (fuse board and electrics holder) to keep the wiring to a minimum, only problem I have is running another wire through my conduit/hose from the engine bay, as it's a bit full...

Ta

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Righto, I've got a working charging system (well, the warning light goes off...) wiring to lamp from alternator is still temporary...

The coil is giving 9v across the +ve and -ve when running, not sure that is correct???

BUT I have found a strange pooling effect from one of the venturi in the carb, I have put a video of it on my FB page, it's public so anyone should be able to see it...

https://www.facebook.com/guy.davenport

Also, I have noticed that on the photo below, you can see the fuel in the float chamber, centre of photo, and the holes on the right of the chokes, nearest the inlet, is this correct???

I've took the top off the carb, and adjusted the float (minimally) removed jets/venturi/float valve etc and given them a good blow out, put it all back together and it's still pooling...

I then had a go at the idle jets, I've cured the pooling, but it won't rev up off tickover without falling flat and dying.

I've had to give up due to the daggers being thrown by the neighbours over the road...

Anyone???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information