Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Fiat Twin Cam issues

Been a while since I've posted, but new motor now so new problems!. Basically running a rod with an early Lancia Beta TwinCam motor (same as the Fiat twin Cam) - first thing I've found is any info on the engine is hard to define as there are so many variables. However this one is running Bosch electronic ignition and twin 45's.
    Few days back coming home motor died, no warning, pulled over, keyed the ignition fired instantly and off we went, about 3 minutes later same thing just as we drove onto our drive. Then wouldn't start at all, left it for a few days, cleaned plugs up, checked leads, dissy cap and rotor, all almost new. Stuck them back on, fired first time, ticked over revved, 10 minutes in dies. Won't start - 3 - 4 hours later starts runs 10 min then dies. Def electrical as no spluttering etc just like hitting a kill switch. Any ideas? (Also checked earths and connections so far) Beginnng to wonder if the ECU is playing up, if so 2nd part of the question, anyone set up one of these twin cams with a megajolt unit?
    Just looking at options as sunny days will be here soon!
    Cheers all

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a fuel issue to me, at least check float bowls for fuel after it dies

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    coil getting hot?
    at least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd look at fuel first as well .If it isn't used regularly you can get ethanol gum deposits on needle valves that cause all sorts or issues.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it have a distributor ignition control module fitted to it, little black box normally on distributor, i'd be looking at that by what you say.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses - car has been used regularly and carbs are clean, (aware of ethanol gumming as always an issue with our bikes) Fuel is fine there's fuel sloshing about there when it dies. Convinced it's electrical as fuelling tends to have a final gasp before it packs up! Haven't checked coil heat but I was going to try and borrow a good one to test, and also run an earth wire from the coil strap to ensure that the body is well earthed.I'll have a look for an ignition control module , don't remember seeing anything on the distributor but it may have been relocated. I have been told that the pick up is internal to the distributour so need to figure that out. That's why I'm thinking of going down the megajolt route as easier to get parts and probably easier to set up - will probably mod to bike carbs as well as so much easier to sort than the 45's

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    another option could be to fit a points dizzy.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had wondered about that! Points would be a much simpler option, biggest problem appears to be that no one can tell me which dissy is likely to fit and anything lancia/fiat seems to be a bit vague!

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly Boy View Post
    I had wondered about that! Points would be a much simpler option, biggest problem appears to be that no one can tell me which dissy is likely to fit and anything lancia/fiat seems to be a bit vague!
    this might be a daft question but when it dies have you checked to see if it still has a spark ?

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, no spark leave a few hours and spark back! Ordered new coil and leads in case coil is breaking down. Also found somewhere who supplies replacement pick ups as well as rebuilding dissies. But having run megajolt for years on our Morris think that although more expensive then either megajolt or nodiz will be the way to go. Just need some pennies, so trying to get running on a minimum spend before going down this route

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information