Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ford 5 speed gearbox question

Hi lads, my mate asked me a question that I couldnt answer so I thought I'd put it on here.
    Is there any diference between a 5 speed Scimitar,Ford gearbox as fitted to 3 litre essex engines and the Cortina,Sierra 5 speed box?
    Hope someone can answer this as he really needs to know before he buys a new unit.

cheers lads

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id like to know the answer to this aswell
    When the flag drops, the bullshit stops.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    the scimitar was a 4 speed with overdrive i beleive, the cortina a 4 speed and the seirra a type 9 5 speed, i think
    i want cubic inches! lots of em!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't seen a 5 speed in a Scimitar but there are at least two different types of Type Nine gearbox. The ones that were original equipment on the V6 engines (Capri, Granada etc.) had a longer input shaft and deeper bellhousing than the ones used on the four cylinder motors.

HTH
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coarser splines as well between Scimitar box and 'standard' small Ford.

EDIT : He's not talking about a Scimitar Sabre is he ? That was a revamped Reliant SS1 with a 5 speed.
    Last edited by kapri; 02-12-2009 at 21:46.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. The input shaft on the sierra type 9 is shorter whereas the type nine for the essex and colonge engines have a longer input shaft and different splines. I believe the gears are transferable between the two types. However the type 9 for the colonge/essex will not fit a zetec engine (got the t-shirt).
    Zetec powered pop on its way!
    My Intro
    My Project

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without having both types of type 9 gearboxes to hand,is there anther way of telling the gearboxs apart ie serial numbers, or other identification marks.

Quote Originally Posted by GVTdrums View Post
    Yes. The input shaft on the sierra type 9 is shorter whereas the type nine for the essex and colonge engines have a longer input shaft and different splines. I believe the gears are transferable between the two types. However the type 9 for the colonge/essex will not fit a zetec engine (got the t-shirt).

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bellhousing is the obvious difference. The essex/colonge box has the bolt holes to mount it to the engine close together whereas the sierra type has them further apart. If your still struggling I've got one of each at home. I'll measure the shaft and make a note of the spline on both gearboxes and get back to you. I'll also take a picture of the different hosings. Hope this helps.
    Zetec powered pop on its way!
    My Intro
    My Project

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers mate, this will be invaluable as hes fittin a 2 ltr pinto and has a type 9 box and really needs to know its origins.
    I look forward to your next posting fella

Quote Originally Posted by GVTdrums View Post
    The bellhousing is the obvious difference. The essex/colonge box has the bolt holes to mount it to the engine close together whereas the sierra type has them further apart. If your still struggling I've got one of each at home. I'll measure the shaft and make a note of the spline on both gearboxes and get back to you. I'll also take a picture of the different hosings. Hope this helps.

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were no 5 speeds available for the V6 Essex other than the odd ZF conversions made for Superspeed. I doubt if you will find one of those,
    There is one factory bellhousing made by ford that will convert the v6 colonge gearbox [type9] and this is also a rare thing, made for about 6 months, fitted to v6 Mk1 granadas, and these fetch a premium too, I saw one go for £400 on evilbay recently, as you can guess they are hard to find too,
    All is not lost, the Capri v6 5 speed can be converted to fit a essex bellhousing, Capri and Granada are cable and Mk4 zephyr, scimitar and Corsair are hydraulic, I did one recently for a mate, You need to machine a spogot ring to locate the gearbox, its about 1mm thick, I made a tophat and screwed it to the inside of the bellhousing, this now allows the type 9 to fit snugly and concentric to the bellhousing, you now need to make a template for the bolt holes of the gearbox, once thats made spot the holes thru, and then you can spot face the inside of the bellhousing so the bolts seat correctly, there is another hole at the top of the bellhousing that needs to be made to accomodate the 5th gear selector rod that exits the gearbox, this will protude out into the clutch area, and will need an oil tight cover made for it, you also MUST have a gasket or sealant between the bellhousing and grarbox. Clutch I never did, but its IIrc the essex clutch arm and bearing, Cologne friction plate, and essex pressure plate, probably have tomake a new bronze spigot bearing too,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information