Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Briz View Post
    Its most likely a 390. Almost all are. The 427 was basically a race engine - very few on the street. The 428 was a regular production engine though. You could have one of those.
    Reason they aren't marked on the outside is that all the FEs except the 427 used the same casting. Even 428s have '352' cast into them.
    The 427 was a big-bore short-stroke engine and had a different block casting. Early ones had the same oiling system as all the others and were prone to blowing up on the track. Later ones including the SOHC were side-oilers.
    There were no later model detuned 427s, That would be the 428.
    428 cu in debuted in '66 - early ones not entirely trouble free (block distorts when overheating) - 428 got swapped in to cars like Cobra's, CJ & HiPo Shelby Mustangs instead of single quad 427 when factory shortages occurred (even HiPo 390 GT spec engines were subsituted!). As you say Briz, highly unlikely to have 427, 66 on car may well have 428. Cornish Tiger - do not be downhearted, a pukka HiPo 427 is TOTALLY unsuited for a heavy car like a TBird with auto transmission and low numerical axle ratio - whereas a 390 suitably modded to produce low end torque and hp WOULD be quite a respectable performer
    Last edited by Roscobbc; 06-03-2011 at 17:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict Cornishtiger's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just back from a mates house. He of alll knowledge. I had a peek at the 64 yearbook and it seems the 427 is different in only the cross bolt block as suggested before so I will have a look this week.
    I am not sure about the lights, to be honest I wasnt ooking when I drove it onto the trailer, mainly due to the siezed gear change that pops the car into park when you turn left then reverse when you turn right!
    I have bouhg t acarb and rebuild kit for it from Mark on here (if it ever turns up, come on Mark! LOL) he was under the impression he was selling a carb for a 427 that was out of a Tbird and engine mounts for 427 are for sale all over so I am supprised that its such a rare thing.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ime glad i fell upon this readup very informative i have a 1963 ford 427 fe fitted in my amc and as ime a chevy guy its nice to read some info on them

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
    Ime glad i fell upon this readup very informative i have a 1963 ford 427 fe fitted in my amc and as ime a chevy guy its nice to read some info on them
    Tell us more Chevelle - please!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My old 65 tbird - owned it for 13 years

and yes 17" rims will fit ok

64's didnt have the sequential rear lights - I had to fit the electronic version to get mine to work correctly

Malc

I'm a grown up member now ! rld14's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you do have a genuine 427 Thunderbird (If you do it's worth a fortune) a quick clue would be the equipment on the car. I'd assume that these were built without power options, no AC, no power windows, locks, etc. Also, from what I recall, without documentation they're very very tough if not impossible to prove authentic. I also remember that one that I DID see had what they called "export suspension" on it. Stiffer springs, heavy duty shocks, I think stiffer roll bars, etc.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cornishtiger - fingers crossed you have one, but as said earlier its doubtful. As far as I'm aware '64's were only offered the 300bhp 390CI. The tri power 340bhp was dropped mid '63.

There was one 427 sneeked through however - Vintage Thunderbird Club International :: View topic - Tasca 427 Thunderbird...

They will know for sure on that forum or you could try 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
    You got any spare parts knocking about?
    '62 Ford Thunderbird
    '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS Turbo
    '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well its a 1970 amc javelin with a 1963 427 fe 4v motor fitted just bought a set of mustang fe headers and hopeing they will fit as it wil make manufacturing the exhaust,s much easyer .I am in the middle of fitting a disc setup on the front to change it from drum,s then ile fitt the headers and going 2.5 inch stainless with 2 boms so should make some noise .Seem to strugle to upload pictures but will try so if they dont work ile try again .The only thing is with the amc taking all my spare time my 69 charger and my no1 72 chevelle [going to be supercharged ] are getting neglectid .Many people keep telling me to pull the motor and sell it but the car looks so nice i think it will perform q

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    quite well in a straight line

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by malstbird View Post
    My old 65 tbird - owned it for 13 years

and yes 17" rims will fit ok

64's didnt have the sequential rear lights - I had to fit the electronic version to get mine to work correctly

Malc
    N I C E - down in the weeds would be N I C E too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information