Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

A 10 second car but not a racer

No ones mentioned useage/mileage/mpg. Go BB and buy shares in Exxon.

Have a ride in a stroked small block powered vehicle and you may find 400+ does the job.

I'm not normal and would go 383 Chevy

Coat on and running....
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I run an LS1 in my Minor and an LQ4 in my 53 Bel Air, so I'm obviously going to recommend the LS route. However, the 'cheap' comment doesn't really apply as they are now very popular and command strong money. You also have to be careful what you are buying as there are so many varieties under different names. Have a look on the LS forums to find out more. You would probably be quite happy with a stock LS as they will provide a decent shove to a mid weight car.
    However, as an alternative, have you considered a Lexus V8 - 290 hp with a lovely gearbox and will give over 30mpg in an LS400 which weighs more than my Bel Air. A complete car will cost between £500 - £1000 and you can use everything. There is also a thriving tuning brigade behind this engine too, with plenty folk running 500+hp.

Pete

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Jim View Post

Have a ride in a stroked small block powered vehicle and you may find 400+ does the job.

Coat on and running....
    Hung for a lamb (or a sheep) irrespective of what engine is used it won't get too many to the gallon. The most economical Ford I had was a '65 Galaxie with 3 speed manual and 190hp 2bbl 289 cu in. 50 mph cruise would pull 22/23 mpg and about 17/18 mpg daily driving.......not very quick though. Worst was a 66' 428 cu in Galaxie with aftermarket cam and sub 10 mpg daily driving and 13/14 mpg best on a cruise - in the day it was a quick car.
    Big cubes doesn't always mean low mpg. Careful selection of parts and building for mid range torque rather than bhp can be the best way to go for a heavy street car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    can you tell us how putting an ls motor in youre car, gets you into dealings with vosa.

its a engine swap,nothing more.

remember a 600hp engine needs a 600 hp gearbox.
    I was under the impression that a swap of such kind (different manufacturer) accrued points. If this isn't the case then happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    a 460 ford with a 521 stroker kit (cast steel crank kit should keep the budget down) and reasonable ally heads will do that.
    https://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-521-D...30-sf-f521.htm
    https://www.coasthigh.com/product-p/ede-61669.htm
    460's are amongst the cheapest big blocks to buy used so it's doable within your budget if you build it yourself.
    Noted, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscobbc View Post
    352 ci in Ford goes back years to late 50's - nothing wrong with it - 390 cu in followed later. Both are solid engines - just not performance engines - not saying they can't perform - just that performance parts are relatively rare and expensive. My lad has a '62 Tbird with 390 cu in, Edelbrock heads a cam, dual quads and headers. Optimised for torque it work well in the 4500lb Tbird. It would work even better in your lighter 63' Galaxie. A Chevy engine of any type is sacrilege. Better to source a later 429 or 460 engine out of a Ford or Lincoln c/w C6 transmission - you could possibly use the front discs too (you'll need the extra braking power) These engines are as tuneable and strong as a Chevy big block and with all that torque make your Galaxie really come alive.
    Something definitely worth investigating, there's a few 390's kicking about.

ex rv engine eBay item number:283312303773
    That's a fair lump!

Quote Originally Posted by weldtech View Post
    LS1 can get you near 500hp without forced induction or iron block LS with forced can get 500+hp
    I am in the process of doing an LS1 swap and my buddy does the full packages (5.3 up to LS7) except the axle.
    My spend up to now (mates rates) is as follows
    Engine (492hp 455lbs/ft) £3800
    Trans (480le) £1200
    Axle (12 bolt lsd)£1100
    Engine ECU £1000
    Trans ECU £640
    Propshaft (1350 u joints) £350
    Engine and trans mounts £300.
    with this in mind, LS is a cheap route to HP but if you want 500hp not much is a cheap option.
    If you only have 4.5k you may have to get a bit lucky and get your bits stateside from breakers.
    I am north of 8k and still not finished.
    Noted, thanks. My HP aspirations might be changed. Either way it's going to be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    this one? he has the 4 speed o/d box that came with it too, or a big block c6 for less money.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-460-...AAAOSwYh9cCZIt
    it'd be a good start with either box.
    neil.
    As above, an option worth exploring, cheers.

If you are a newbie to all of this why start out with 5-600hp and all the cost that goes with it. Start out with a good base (roller cam) motor with a strong bottom end that can be tweaked. Then you can work up and strengthen everything on the way to your target HP.
    I'm a newbie to US cars (only had my '65 Galaxie since June 2016) but I've been into cars forever (I'm 40). It's a number plucked from the sky, it can be reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Jim View Post

Coat on and running....
    If I was bothered about mileage I'd not be asking in the first place, and just carry on using my VW Up! daily or my lads Octavia which both do that in spades. But I don't want to. As above, final HP number could well be reviewed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic orange View Post
    I run an LS1 in my Minor and an LQ4 in my 53 Bel Air, so I'm obviously going to recommend the LS route. However, the 'cheap' comment doesn't really apply as they are now very popular and command strong money. You also have to be careful what you are buying as there are so many varieties under different names. Have a look on the LS forums to find out more. You would probably be quite happy with a stock LS as they will provide a decent shove to a mid weight car.
    However, as an alternative, have you considered a Lexus V8 - 290 hp with a lovely gearbox and will give over 30mpg in an LS400 which weighs more than my Bel Air. A complete car will cost between £500 - £1000 and you can use everything. There is also a thriving tuning brigade behind this engine too, with plenty folk running 500+hp.

Pete
    Nice one, thanks. At the end of the day I'm after a good-power V8 with a well supported parts availability.

Hung for a lamb (or a sheep) irrespective of what engine is used it won't get too many to the gallon. The most economical Ford I had was a '65 Galaxie with 3 speed manual and 190hp 2bbl 289 cu in. 50 mph cruise would pull 22/23 mpg and about 17/18 mpg daily driving.......not very quick though. Worst was a 66' 428 cu in Galaxie with aftermarket cam and sub 10 mpg daily driving and 13/14 mpg best on a cruise - in the day it was a quick car.
    Big cubes doesn't always mean low mpg. Careful selection of parts and building for mid range torque rather than bhp can be the best way to go for a heavy street car.
    Similarly, I have a '65 Galaxie, 289 with a 3-speed cruise-o-matic and long runs (450 mile round trips) to Santa Pod have always been between 21 and 24mpg, depending on how loaded we are. That's worked out from brimming it to near empty to brimming it again (both on flat, level ground).

Thanks for all your input so far guys, I'm here to learn, and learning I am.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by plastic orange View Post

Pete
    if using and tuning a lexus engine it needs to be an early one pre 94 i believe the later ones arent anywhere near as strong
    at least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    How refreshing to have a full list of answers to the responses.
    I too have a 65 ford (fairlane) with a 289 and 3 speed cruisomatic.
    Then i decided to go LS1 into a 63 c10. Not a cheap easy or quick project. But looking forward to having almost zero traction and a big grin.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    points mean prizes

you could always write to vosa and let them know how many points to take off youre score card.

alternatively you could just send youre v5 of to dvla with youre new engine number and cc filled out in the relevant place,and carry on with life as if nothing ever happened
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    How refreshing to have a full list of answers to the responses.
    I too have a 65 ford (fairlane) with a 289 and 3 speed cruisomatic.
    Then i decided to go LS1 into a 63 c10. Not a cheap easy or quick project. But looking forward to having almost zero traction and a big grin.
    Just being polite, everyone's taken the time out to answer, I should respond accordingly.

Have fun!

points mean prizes

you could always write to vosa and let them know how many points to take off youre score card.

alternatively you could just send youre v5 of to dvla with youre new engine number and cc filled out in the relevant place,and carry on with life as if nothing ever happened
    That is likely.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    points mean prizes

yep that's probably the best way to go. when you send the v5c make sure to add a note saying that as the vehicle is historic tax class (ie free tax) that no further documentation is required. if not they'll ask for engineers reports and all sorts which is not needed. half of them don't know their own rules unfortunately and need reminding.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    4.6 V8, as fitted to all of Fords larger cars, Lincoln Town Car, Crown Vic, Mercury Marquis, Mustang and F150. The are damn near indestructible, hence their use as cop cars and taxis, and they only seem to have ever had one major problem and that was the plastic intake manifold, which has now been updated. I know the very early ones could use a lot of oil due to bad valve seals but most have been replaced by now.
    As for performance; perhaps a nitrous set up to give you push button power sometimes and decent economy the rest of the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information