Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel filter position / biva suitability

Howdy folks,

I understand it is unwise to have the final fuel filter dangling around on an engine. Too many couplings and risk of failure loom ominous. Ok it is nice to have a filter after pump and regulator and the norm is in line to carb, on a V engine that's bang in the middle.

I fancy going old school and back to one of these and have the regulator by its side on the inner wing etc. I am gonna secure all pipes to body and mill so even if clamp fails the hose won't move.

Out of interest is the old school bowl gubbins Biva friendly?

Thanks in advance
    Jimbob
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 10-10-2019 at 11:29.
    "We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again."

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They definitely don't like 'hanging' inline glass filters .

I think the easiest way to work out if BIVA suitable or not is to look at modern vehicles . None of them have glass bowls instead using steel cannisters post pump.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see where Jim is coming from here...seems a good idea..

I know ive had a few failures in the past with plastic fuel filters and even the posh glass ones that fell apart due the engine vibration.
    So the right location secured if you can and I use the all in metal filters now knowing they will not split or fail.
    And not forgetting that handy fire extinguisher ( a proper one in size cause when that fire starts a tiny little one that looks good will not be enough to put out that engine fire.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Aaah, I see. Thanks chaps!!

Edelbrock do a snazzy inline filter straight to carb but I still need a pressure regulator, apparently, which means a coupling/(failure point) across engine.

Ta da! After an hour of Google edumacation I plumb forgot all about the old school Malpassi doofahs and they come with a built in regulator

I do like to see the fuel swirling in a bowl but hey, safety first etc.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi i went for the Malpassi V8 solid style regulator / filter didn't like the idea of glass, mounted it on my inner fender far enough from the motor that it doesn't get hot using the bracket supplied with a little modification, the one i bought has a separate 1/8 npt port for a pressure gauge, really good product set it at 4.5 - 5psi for my edelbrock 1406 and its as steady as a rock i suppose where you fit it will depend on vehicle etc

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by C10apache; 11-10-2019 at 11:33.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't quite see the install but got the Malpassi filter on the inner wing. Dialed in the pressure and blow me the ****ing and banging has gone, disappeared vamoosed!

I didn't install it to resolve that issue, which incidentally drove me nuts - spent £50 in gas re tuning timing and carb to no avail, and despite already having a pressure regulator it now runs at 14.5 on the afr thingy. Well happy

9. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I have only got one filter on my fuel system I have metal a cased one just after the pump which is at the side of the tank, the fuel regulator is in the engine bay just before the carbs, do I need two filters? If the fuel is filtered at the tank is a second filter 'just in case'. Do modern cars have two filters? Thanks

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's recomended !

I have a large cannister thing near the tank plus the one after pump on engine.
    The clear one i took off the engine had little bits in it!?

It makes me shudder when i see those filters dangling over a V8 engine. So many folks do it - it cost me dear when my one failed

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supateach View Post
    Hi
    I have only got one filter on my fuel system I have metal a cased one just after the pump which is at the side of the tank, the fuel regulator is in the engine bay just before the carbs, do I need two filters? If the fuel is filtered at the tank is a second filter 'just in case'. Do modern cars have two filters? Thanks
    Modern cars have one inside the tank befor the pump and another outside after the pump.on all I do here I just put one after the tank but befor the fuel pump.usually use the Bosch metal canister type filters and mount them on the chassis rail somewhere,or up by the tank.
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information