Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel lines and fittings

I would like someone to tell me what AN sizes relate to which metric/imperial sizes. Basically I`m getting a little stuck sorting out the correct fittings I need to come from my Holley fuel regulator, which is 3/8 npt to the braided fuel line I`ve got that is 3/8 or 10mm I guess.Am I right in thinking that AN sizes are thread and pipe bore and can you mix them. I would very much like this explained, as i just have not been able to find a conversion chart.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    AN sizes dont really relate to metric.

braided fuel hose normally comes in -6 or -8 (the - sign is spoken as dash not minus, so if your buying fuel hose you would ask for dash 6 not minus 6) JIC ends fit the fuel hose, they are normally a swivel end and you get adapters which go from JIC to AN/NPT which is what most US fuel pumps/regulators use.

so for your 3/8NPT fitting you would get an adapter which is 3/8NPT on one side and a -6JIC fitting to go into a swivel end which would fit -6 size hose.

so you would buy one of these to go into one of these which fits the hose.

have a look at http://www.speedflow.co.uk/ they keep all the ends and hose in stock and fay that runs it is really helpful as she runs a top fuel car and knows her stuff inside out.

-4 hose has a 3/16 Inside diameter

-6 hose has a 5/16 inside diameter

-8 hose has a 7/16 inside diameter

-10 hose has a 9/16 inside diameter
    Last edited by 35kid; 10-08-2009 at 16:04.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    what you need is a male /male adapter fitting 3/8NPT to -6AN

The number relates to 16ths of an inch, ie 6/16 = 3/8in, so you need -6AN. Threads are also UNF

Use a fuel resistant thread sealer on the NPT fittings and since you're going to the effort of fitting a regulator, fit it close to the carb and run a low pressure gauge. (0-15psi over a 0-120psi, gauge calibration is better)

Wrap the braided hose in insulation tape and cut it with shears or a thin cutting disc in a grinder. Don't use a hacksaw it wrecks it.
    Last edited by WB54; 10-08-2009 at 16:15. Reason: added thread type.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant, thanks ,that`s all my questions answered in particular where to get them from. Thanks guys

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I've just been through this 'curve'.

Seemed crazy to have stock fitting fuel parts like carbs, pumps and filters and then to have to use adapters to graft in AN stuff. Looks cool though!

Had a real problem sourcing an odd GM brake fitting this side of the pond.
    Stumbled across this place, they had the fittings in stock and knocked em up pronto. Does all the other stuff too if you get caught out.
    http://www.bgcmotorsport.co.uk/index.html

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    AN/JIC fittings are just 37 degree flare swivel fittings with a straight UNF thread type. Pretty easy to use and match up when you standardise your system on them. What I don't like is having to adapt from NPT threads all the time. They require PTFE tape to seal, never really feel tightened and occasionally mangle and strip the threads of the fitting.

Forgot to mention. On the Holley regulators, they benefit from having the little thread used to attached to the bracketunderneath bottom tapped, for some reason some I've had aren't properly tapped to take a machine screw.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just been looking at that site and wonder how their prices compare with Speedflow.The fittings sure do look cool but man are they expensive.Is there any where that stocks fittings like Summits own brand that work out cheaper? I do`nt want to sound like a cheap skate but after all it`s only a low pressure system and my engines not had the ballocks tuned out of it so there`s no need for aircraft kind of spec fittings. I`ve just ordered an adapter and a 6an elbow and with postage they work out adverage of £12 each ouch!! It`s made me realise how much money alone has been spent on engines with these fittings all over them. I think mine will have to be gradual!!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speedflow are very pricey but they do provide a good service, all of it in stock and always delivered on time. I may be able to help you out with some Goodridge Fittings at a decent price, email me what you need at [email protected]

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    phil ive never used PTFE tape on NPT fittings and never had any of mine leak... been on 9 years now too.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 35kid View Post
    phil ive never used PTFE tape on NPT fittings and never had any of mine leak... been on 9 years now too.
    with the race car, we use it for good measure plus we have it apart quite a bit and NPT threads are a pain in the arse if you have them apart often, especially ally fittings into cast iron or steel into ally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information