Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage spray booth.

In the next couple of months I will be starting to paint my car hopefully, what’s the best way of making a extraction system, I’m thinking of making a door with filters and a couple of car rad fans to extract the paint fumes, has any one done this and was it successful, the garage will be lined out in plastic sheet on the walls and ceiling , i will also put in an air inlet , all suggestions accepted, cheers ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't do what a mate of mine did. He put an extractor fan in the booth with it extracting out through the wall, and bought himself an air fed mask, so he was all good to go. Not long into his first spray job he felt worse than when he hadn't bothered with the extractor or the mask. He had to give up. When we had a look at his installation he had the extractor outlet right next to his compressor, so the fumes were sucked out through the wall, into the compressor, and straight down the airline to his mask....

We thought it was hilarious at the time, (and since tbh) but if he had been spraying 2-pack instead of cellulose it would have probably killed him.

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark (Blackpopracing) used a 12 volt car radiator fan in his garage. I am sure it's shown in his build thread in Garage Scene.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    Mark (Blackpopracing) used a 12 volt car radiator fan in his garage. I am sure it's shown in his build thread in Garage Scene.
    ask mark what his neighbours thought about his painting.im pretty sure they had overspray in their kitchen,lol.

i spray here sometimes in my small garage.only generally primers and underseals.i have a wall mounted extract fan,that vents out at low level.i usually wet the floor when i paint,and just generally clean the walls and ceiling beforhand,to get rid of dust/webs etc.

my compressor is mounted in my workshop.

one tip.turn the extractor on once you are inside the garage,and turn it off befor you open the door.mine is super powerfull,and will pull dirt in from outside if you open up with it running.

paint stinks.2k is worse.i only spray at night or if its raining. i have sprayed in the afternoon(a long time back) ,in the summer.apparently you can smell it half way up the road.
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    paint stinks.2k is worse.i only spray at night or if its raining. i have sprayed in the afternoon(a long time back) ,in the summer.apparently you can smell it half way up the road.
    Yep, rain damps down the smell no end. I do my painting during the day when most are at work. It definitely smells and travels. I've got to repaint the Ranchero's bonnet after a gtinding disc exploded & damaged it, I'll do that early in the morning.

Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Make sure any fans suit the size of any ducting so you get the air movement you need.
    The key to air extraction is what is known as "air change"
    This is based on a calculation in which the amount of solvent or paint concentration requires a specific volume of "clean" air to replace the contaminated air.
    Mind sound a bit sciencey but you want to make sure the air is of such a quality that your mask is good enough so you dont solely rely on a mask to protect you and make sure an environment that could cause an explosion from sparks or static from any fans doesnt develop.
    ( more air change = safer atmosphere)
    Last edited by weldtech; 02-02-2020 at 21:08.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neighbours at old flat were ok with paint, neighbour complained about the thinners cleaning the gun afterwards.

I used a BMW 15" rad fan on my old garage, now I have a full 240V 450mm extractor on a speed controller. Make sure air inlet has a fine screen over it (open window with fine net curtain sealed over it will do). You ideally need the entire contents of the air volume of the garage exchanged every 60 seconds.

Spraying in the rain is not so good as your compressor is compressing damp air which ultimately can get into the paint (even with a water trap), but having a garden hose set to a fine spray over the outlet of your extractor will work wonders.

Painting later in the evening works best, neighbours will be indoors with windows shut so its much less of an issue.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Neighbours at old flat were ok with paint, neighbour complained about the thinners cleaning the gun afterwards.

I used a BMW 15" rad fan on my old garage, now I have a full 240V 450mm extractor on a speed controller. Make sure air inlet has a fine screen over it (open window with fine net curtain sealed over it will do). You ideally need the entire contents of the air volume of the garage exchanged every 60 seconds.

Spraying in the rain is not so good as your compressor is compressing damp air which ultimately can get into the paint (even with a water trap), but having a garden hose set to a fine spray over the outlet of your extractor will work wonders.

Painting later in the evening works best, neighbours will be indoors with windows shut so its much less of an issue.
    spraying in the rain is fine if youre compressor runs industrial driers in the system.i bet is fine for every other person who hasnt got them as well.

****ing hell,if everyone waited for dry days to paint,nothing would ever get done.

is that why it took you 30 years to do what most others do in one or two
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you got a problem with me Wayne?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your help, I have a bmw rad fan ( proper powerful) and a 16 inch square fibre glass filter , so far doing a good job, just got a bit smelly when I did the boot , just need to change the filter at the end of the day, so ordered 4 more,cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information