Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to my little book, standard compression ratio 6.1:1 but that was so it ran at all on the cheap petrol of the time I expect. Fit an eight head and it goes up to 7.6:1 with standard gasket but use a 20 gauge copper gasket and its whopping 8.5:1. I think one of the Ford Specials equipment companies, maybe Wooler or Buckler, made I am told a conversion of some sort for the 10hp side valve but I know little of it. I still hanker for a 4 speeder but I accept what you are all saying about the work and time required. I will chew it over and if/when I finish the current modified car perhaps I will think about it again. Cheers, Dave Incidentally, I had a Ford Rochdale special in the 60's when the craze for them was just ending and a Mini was a good alternative. It had 4.7 axle, 8 head, washers under the valve springs to reduce valve float, Panhard rods but had the standard carb. It did about 80mph and steered really well round tight country lanes.
    Just found it - it was Wooler and all for £58. http://www.pop100e.com/PopWooler.php
    Last edited by Perfect65; 25-10-2013 at 19:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think odgie (shedster) has now fitted a blower and twin su's on his car!!

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many, many years ago I had a Rochdale Olympic Ford Special whic had twin 1 1/8 s.u carbs on a Bellamy inlet manifold, reverse rim VW beetle wheels and a 4 speed gearbox which I was told by the previous owner was MG. I was only 18 at the time and knew nothing about cars. I have always fancied another ford special but I suppose they all dissapeared years ago.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The E93A motor in my special had a 4 speed Morris 8 Series E 4 speed gearbox fitted. It was already fitted when I bought the car.

Didn't take my teenage self long to break the gearbox -also the ratios were pretty sh*te. I think the MG J2 box was the one to have, but these were rare even in the early seventies when I was running a sidevalve motor.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Many, many years ago I had a Rochdale Olympic Ford Special whic had twin 1 1/8 s.u carbs on a Bellamy inlet manifold, reverse rim VW beetle wheels and a 4 speed gearbox which I was told by the previous owner was MG. I was only 18 at the time and knew nothing about cars. I have always fancied another ford special but I suppose they all dissapeared years ago.
    Still thinking about the conversion - had a look on the net and "from 1957" Bowden Engineering would do a conversion into the original Ford shell. All you needed to do was send them a Ford casing and £6 10s - oh plus a Wolseley, MG (assume its J2) or Morris gearbox from 1933 to 1937. I am assuming these were all 4 speed boxes and the internals transplanted. I understand they machined the gearbox casing internally. Finding one of these boxes is practically impossible but if someone here has one to spare.............?????????????? I wonder if Bowden Engineering still exist - phone number has probably changed.
    Anyway, I am currently studying a Reliant gearbox as possibility. Also got an 8 head to fit. Main criteria is to keep the car looking stock.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you can carry out an open drive conversion then consider a 5 speed gearbox from a 'sooty van' (bedford rascal, suzuki carry etc). they are tiny boxes. 4 speeds from vivas and chevettes were also very small.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres how Fast Freddie modifield a torque tube axle to open drive shaft, I believe he had to put rods to the back to counter act having no torque tube

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...esto-rod-69530

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information