Give up your preference for epoxy primer
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North kent
    Posts
    160
    Images
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paulkf is offline

    Give up your preference for epoxy primer

    About to start the body repairs on my pop and not used epoxy primer before. Spent many years working with my father who was in the trade , so competent preparing cars for paint and painting. Not done anything for many years when cellulose was popular. What is everyone using for primer and what paint to put over it. For finish I'm thinking translucent red over black, haven't looked at what kind of paint that would be. Enlighten me please.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Off the Xmas card list kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    23,130
    Images
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kapri is online now
    I still use celly but use a 2k primer / filler underneath it that stops the old sinkage problems. I use Lechler Ti and their celly topcoat as some other paints aren't compatible. I apply the 2k with a small roller as a body repair is finished then flat and prime the entire panel before painting .

  4. #3
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North kent
    Posts
    160
    Images
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paulkf is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I still use celly but use a 2k primer / filler underneath it that stops the old sinkage problems. I use Lechler Ti and their celly topcoat as some other paints aren't compatible. I apply the 2k with a small roller as a body repair is finished then flat and prime the entire panel before painting .
    thanks for that, is it available locally, I'm in kent

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Administrator blackpopracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    8,783
    Images
    1757
    Post Thanks / Like
    blackpopracing is offline
    Lechler epoxy primer - amazing stuff. Get it from Paints4U (IIRC) It needs its own activator & thinners. Can be applied with a wickes 4" gloss paint roller but will require more flatting off if so, or spray with a 1.8mm tip. You can use a 1.6mm tip but it will need a little more thinners.
    All normal safety precautions should be taken when using 2 pack.

  7. #5
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North kent
    Posts
    160
    Images
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paulkf is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Lechler epoxy primer - amazing stuff. Get it from Paints4U (IIRC) It needs its own activator & thinners. Can be applied with a wickes 4" gloss paint roller but will require more flatting off if so, or spray with a 1.8mm tip. You can use a 1.6mm tip but it will need a little more thinners.
    All normal safety precautions should be taken when using 2 pack.

  8. #6
    Official RnS Addict Special When Lit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    1,270
    Images
    593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Special When Lit is offline
    Anyone know if this stuff is any good?
    https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?ma...i1v6ev89t8r2k1

    If you can't be an example, be a warning.

  9. #7
    Official RnS Addict thisYup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    garden of England
    Posts
    535
    Images
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    thisYup is offline
    i second lechler Ti, great stuff, seals and easy to sand! BSB in strood stock it (depends where in kent you are!), or online!

  10. #8
    Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,189
    Images
    1030
    Post Thanks / Like
    English Impala is offline
    I use Jawels own brand 2K epoxy primer and that's okay

  11. #9
    Official RnS Addict WB54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    4,600
    Images
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    WB54 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Special When Lit View Post
    Anyone know if this stuff is any good?
    https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?ma...i1v6ev89t8r2k1
    yes it's good but very thick and need to be thinned right down to spray nicely

  12. #10
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North kent
    Posts
    160
    Images
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paulkf is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by thisYup View Post
    i second lechler Ti, great stuff, seals and easy to sand! BSB in strood stock it (depends where in kent you are!), or online!
    gravesend so perfect thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Which epoxy primer??
      By Doubledoyle in forum On Topic
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-07-2012, 11:34
    2. Replies: 13
      Last Post: 25-12-2011, 12:41
    3. Epoxy primer?
      By English Impala in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 31-01-2011, 20:50
    4. A Gift for your wife for Christmas
      By NoJive 55 in forum Chat
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 18-12-2010, 22:15
    5. Tri,s your starter for ten
      By NoJive 55 in forum Tri Chevys, Spirit Of the Fifties and the Tuck Up Squad boys
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 14-11-2009, 11:40

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •