Headlight fuse blowing, seems to be over a period of time though.
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight fuse blowing, seems to be over a period of time though.

Having read through more than my share of auto electrical threads trying to sort the Mogster's wipers (with eventual success) I'll try and keep it simple.
    Have done a rebody with a Suzuki Vitara chassis and complete running gear, and switches.
    Wired up new headlights to existing wiring, every thing was fine.
    Tried the lights one day and one of the headlights just glowed, didn't shine, eventually it stopped working and then I found a blown 3 amp fuse in the fusebox instead of a 15A that the other side has.
    New fuse in, everything fine then today, at the MOT, it had blown the 15A.
    New fuse, all is well, for now, and may stay that way, or it might pop it again.
    MOT guy reckons bad earth, get the multimeter out and the earth to the bulb 'beeps' fine to the chassis, BUT, it also reads 12 volts, the same as the other 2 wires to the bulb, but it all works.
    Tried earthing together the sidelight and headlight but this results in the sidelights being on permanently regardless of the switch position.
    Also have noticed the feed to the headlights seems to be live permanently, even when I click the killswitch that I put in to the fusebox in the cabin.
    I'm hoping someone who knows more about these things than me (not difficult!) can offer an answer involving switched earth or something rather than 'it sounds like a hell of a mess rip it all out and start over'.
    Many thanks folks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried a different headlight bulb? i've seen the internal spring/element broken and touching the other 'pin/wire' bit in the bulb causing an intermittent short. could be that easy. remove the bulb, hold it by the connector pins and flick the glass to see if either of the springs/elements are broken.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    have you tried a different headlight bulb? i've seen the internal spring/element broken and touching the other 'pin/wire' bit in the bulb causing an intermittent short. could be that easy. remove the bulb, hold it by the connector pins and flick the glass to see if either of the springs/elements are broken.
    neil.
    Good place to start, I'll have a look after my cuppa, thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you uprated the bulbs over original ?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Have you uprated the bulbs over original ?
    No Kev but funnily enough I was comparing the old and new after Neil's post as it turns out I had fitted an original Suzuki one in one headlight and a new one in the other. The original didn't have the damage Neil was describing but the high beam element looked a bit poorly and it is that side that blows so I have swapped in the other new one and gonna see how that goes. I had been assuming the fuse was gradually deteriorating but I see now that it's much more likely that whatever causes it to blow is just a random event that occurs somewhere along the road. Any other ideas still warmly welcomed though, just in case

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes i've had the 'element' break and swing about touching and working sometimes then not and then shorting to the earth a few times.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope so Neil, thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information