Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

help with my GMC / Chevy V8 van!

Tags
chevy gmc van
3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fall-apart-dave 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone on here can help. Basically my starter is shot. Need a new one. Except no one seems to know which one i need. It's a 1991 GMC Vandura, Realsteel couldn't help me even with the chassis number so I'm stuck with a van i can't move. Does anyone know much about them? I know the starter motor is staggered pattern but that's as far as I've got and my searches have turned up nothing.

#2 ·
you probably need an american autoparts stockist as aposed to some one like real steel, stateside autos in atherstone, warwickshire would probably sort out what you need but a bit far from you!

you not got a supplier local (ish) to you?

#6 ·
AFAIK only two starter types fitted to the V8.

If the starter has the staggered bolt pattern, you'll need a starter motor for the 168 tooth flywheel/flexplate. The straight across bolt pattern is for the 153 tooth flywheel/flexplate. I should have a good 168 tooth starter for sale at the Essex swap meet.

#7 ·
I know exactly whats wrong with the starter, the clutch? in it has gone. The starter engages but just vibrates rather than turns. The shaft spins but the gear stays put.

When talking to realsteel they said there were a great many different starters for V8 chevy blocks depending on what it was put in. They have a load of staggered pattern stareters listed.

Essex is a bit far dude it'd be cheaper to mail order a brand new one. Cheers anyway though mate.

#8 ·
I know exactly whats wrong with the starter, the clutch? in it has gone. The starter engages but just vibrates rather than turns. The shaft spins but the gear stays put.

When talking to realsteel they said there were a great many different starters for V8 chevy blocks depending on what it was put in. They have a load of staggered pattern stareters listed.

Essex is a bit far dude it'd be cheaper to mail order a brand new one. Cheers anyway though mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.