Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict keith ardley's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappyhelp with timing a V8 60

Hi Having a lot of trouble timing and getting my engine to perform, its a v8 60 Flathead I have just fitted a cam and twin strombergs (81,s) ignition is a Mallory electronic unit as there is no timing marks on the crank pulley i wonder if any one else has cum across this problem I intend to have the heads of and set the T. D. C. AND FIT A TIMING MARKER TO THE GRANK is this something any one has dun ? if so any advice pics would help . or is there a rod shop with a rolling road with the nohow to set up a side valve engine prefer it to be in the Cambridge shire area but will travel if needed to get it to the right place advice pleas .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pull the heads and make a timing mark you can use the stop method like Brizy said on the other site but if you want it spot bollok use a dial gage up to you.
    I will back them up bout the new dizzy I played with some and heard lots of um run and its a very rare thing to find one thats got the right timing (I have a very keen ear when it comes to Fords lovelys!) Most of the aftermarket Flatty mallorys have way to much max advance and the advance comes in way to late. Ajustment for max advance on stops in the dizzy but to get it in earlyer yuo will need softer springs.
    Best of British
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    get somebody with a snap on dial back digital timing gun to set the timing. Don't need timing marks, shows on the gun what you have, dial in what timing you want, watch the dial go to 0 whilst you move the dizzy and it's done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    get somebody with a snap on dial back digital timing gun to set the timing. Don't need timing marks, shows on the gun what you have, dial in what timing you want, watch the dial go to 0 whilst you move the dizzy and it's done.
    Out of interest how does the gun know where tdc is?
    Cant get my head round how it wuld work with no timing mark.
    Martin

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by scooder View Post
    Out of interest how does the gun know where tdc is?
    Cant get my head round how it wuld work with no timing mark.
    Martin
    Sounds interesting any other info ??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    no idea, all they can really measure is rpm, voltage, advance and dwell, so somehow it works it out, you just hook it up, and it tells you on the dial what advance you have in it, to reset it, you dial in what you want, and move the dizzy till the dial reads zero.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh and if you can't find somebody with one, a bolt threaded into the plug hole can be used. Pull the dizzy cap, turn the motor by hand with all the plugs removed until the rotor point to where No1 ign lead would be on the cap. That way you know it's on the firing stroke. Thread the bolt too far into the bore so the motor locks by hand, unscrews the bolt in tiny amounts until the motor just moves past TDC and you're roughly at TDC. If you want to be spot on use a dial gauge on something floating but a good fit in the plug hole

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    oh and if you can't find somebody with one, a bolt threaded into the plug hole can be used. Pull the dizzy cap, turn the motor by hand with all the plugs removed until the rotor point to where No1 ign lead would be on the cap. That way you know it's on the firing stroke. Thread the bolt too far into the bore so the motor locks by hand, unscrews the bolt in tiny amounts until the motor just moves past TDC and you're roughly at TDC. If you want to be spot on use a dial gauge on something floating but a good fit in the plug hole
    The ROTER BIT IS OK But the bolt bit don't work as its a side valve thanks for the info i had the heads off and got it spot on now just got to find out about the advance curve on the Mallory distribitor as i believe it may be the trouble !!!!!!!!!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully there should be 2 ajustable stops in the dizzy below the points plate ( or behind the points plate cus being mounted on the front) to limit the max advance loosen the allen bolts and movem allong the slot to ajust. Softer springs in there will let it advance quicker.
    Most Flatty Mallorys I seen have got lots more advance than required. 1 had 38 degrees in stead of 24-26 total. With a mild cam say Isky max1 or so on in a normal Flathead likes maybe 6-10 deg initial timing, slap on the afore mentiond dizzy and you get 44-48 deg total!! Not good for acceleration / power / rod bearing life.
    The main symptoms the car showed were poor power (for engine spec) poor fuel consumption and surging wilst at cruising speed.
    Thats my polite version of my Malory experiance. Cider will bring out a lot ruder and more grafic tale of woe, but I might get sued.
    Martin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    keith have a look at this page, it explains exactly what is needed to reset the mallory

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/mech-adv.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information