Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot Solenoid

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyrc View Post
    connect a busbar from the large terminal to the smaller terminal,, at 9 oclock and 3 oclock in the photo,, stick the remote solenoid somewhere cooler such as boot or beside battery.. run heavy battery lead from the remote sol to the large term at 3 oclock,, other side of remote sol goes to battery live post,, extend trigger wire to remote sol... those old style starters often cause problems with heat soak
    This will work fine as long as the problem is with the contacts in the solenoid and not with the coil. The busbar will short out the solenoid contacts and the remote solenoid provides the power to the starter motor and the solenoid in parallel. But if the problem is with the coil, the motor will spin up but it won't engage the gear onto the flywheel/flexplate.

That looks like a Delco starter, shouldn't be difficult to get hold of a new solenoid if you do need one.
    Stuart.
    My website: Isn't working at the moment
    My Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes Zephyrc is dead right I've had to do it on all my chevy's what happens is the coil gets hot and the hotter it get the more resistance you get in the wiring so if you try the screwdriver trick and the motor turns over then wire up the remote solenoid as zephyrc says and you'll have no problems

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for broadening the picture and highlighting issues I hadn't even considered Stueeee. Always good to keep an open mind. The issue I had however is that nothing happened at all when I tried to start when hot = heat soak. The screwdriver trick did indeed work so Zephyrc's plan seems the logical way forward at this stage.
    Thanks for the input good people

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information