how to fit a vinyl roof
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie vw2v8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    wrexham
    Posts
    395
    Images
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    vw2v8 is offline

    how to fit a vinyl roof

    on a model y it had a large opening in the roof wich i filled in and now i need to stick a piece of vinyl on the top of the roof..i take i glue it on ..what do i do about the edges,is there a trim i can fit around it.what glue do i use?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    489
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    langy is offline
    Blimey its a long long time since i have done a vinyl roof but you need to get a heat proof glue, Kev should have the spec for it somewhere, I would suggest a trip to your local sunroof firm as they could possibly sell you what you need.

  4. #3
    Off the Xmas card list kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    23,738
    Images
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kapri is online now
    You need to get a VERY high temp glue , 3m have a spray one in their range that is good for 100C , most of the heavy duty upholstery glues are only 75c and the normal stuff is 50 and that can peel inside on a hot day with windows closed.You would be amazed how hot a steel roof can get in summer.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Off the Xmas card list kapri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    23,738
    Images
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    kapri is online now
    I got my last can from these people

    http://www.parafix.com/

  7. #5
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie vw2v8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    wrexham
    Posts
    395
    Images
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    vw2v8 is offline
    ok thanks for the replys..its fiberglass roof/car you see alot of ford pops with them this is the car back in the 80s,i want to do the same as the roof was but with black vinyl

  8. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    489
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    langy is offline
    Arr i see what your doing now, Pop Brown does a kit for that job, I just done a similar think on a 3W coupe but the vinyl insert was already moulded in so was painted and then i used polished stainless bar with studs that were tightened from inside to hide the join.

  9. #7
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie vw2v8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    wrexham
    Posts
    395
    Images
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    vw2v8 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by langy View Post
    Arr i see what your doing now, Pop Brown does a kit for that job, I just done a similar think on a 3W coupe but the vinyl insert was already moulded in so was painted and then i used polished stainless bar with studs that were tightened from inside to hide the join.
    sound about the same thing as i was going to do...have you got any pics please...thanks

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    489
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    langy is offline
    I knew i should of taken some pics 8-(


    Quote Originally Posted by vw2v8 View Post
    sound about the same thing as i was going to do...have you got any pics please...thanks

  11. #9
    Official RnS Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    917
    Images
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Bull is offline
    Recently done this very job on my 32 5w.I would suggest that you take a mould of the roof so that you can take a replica out of it.This panel you make would want to be about 3mm thick.Cut it to the desired shape and rad the edges.Cover that in vinyl and stick it on to the roof of your car with stikaflex or similar.As it was moulded off your roof it will be a perfect fit.
    I did the same thing on a pickup cab about 4/5 years ago and its still on there as good as the day it was done,and the car is in daily use.
    If you go next door and look on the members rides sections there are a pic or 2 of the roof on my coupe.May explain things better?
    Mark

  12. #10
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie vw2v8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    wrexham
    Posts
    395
    Images
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    vw2v8 is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bull View Post
    Recently done this very job on my 32 5w.I would suggest that you take a mould of the roof so that you can take a replica out of it.This panel you make would want to be about 3mm thick.Cut it to the desired shape and rad the edges.Cover that in vinyl and stick it on to the roof of your car with stikaflex or similar.As it was moulded off your roof it will be a perfect fit.
    I did the same thing on a pickup cab about 4/5 years ago and its still on there as good as the day it was done,and the car is in daily use.
    If you go next door and look on the members rides sections there are a pic or 2 of the roof on my coupe.May explain things better?
    Mark
    thanks for the info mark..had been watching your build up thread next door but couldnt post anything as im a non member..btw the car is very nice it looks like your not far off finishing..roof pannel what did you use to get a mould of the roof,my roof is allready painted ..were did you get your vinyl from..cheers f

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. vinyl softener
      By evilzee28 in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 24-02-2010, 20:38
    2. Vinyl to CD
      By Hemi Bucket in forum Chat
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 18-01-2010, 23:28
    3. vinyl roof adhesive
      By camarodaz28 in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 23-11-2009, 12:39
    4. vinyl roof kit
      By yorkster in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 04-11-2009, 18:59
    5. vinyl roof suplier
      By vw2v8 in forum Tech Discussion
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 06-05-2009, 16:49

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •