Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IFS design ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

IFS design ?

I am going to build my own front IFS and have a few questions that I need answers to. I understand that in order to get the ackerman right I have to get the pivot point on the rack to intersect an imaginary line through the top and bottom wisbone pivot points. If this is the case and lets say the rack I have is a little short can I move the bottom wishbone in towards the centre of the car or if the rack is a little long can I move the upper wisbone pivot point out in order to get these pivot point to be in the right place ? And now the second question how do I determine the ride height that I want the car to sit at ? when putting this IFS onto the main frame rails ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was under the impression that th Ackerman angle was to do with the imaginary line from the center line of the rear axle through the king pins/ ball joints and beyond and the steering ends had to be some where on that line

IE if in front of the Axel the tre's would be closer to the wheel but if wee behind the would be closer to the center of the car

And i found this out through help from Kev and Langy and i think one of em did post up a diagram on the NSRA

But that was for my beam axle and not 100% what the difference would be for wishbones

I MUST TYPE FASTER LOL
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have posted this before but ill do it again it might be useful

http://streetrodder.automotive.com/9...les/index.html

Again for a sraight axle not wishbones
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies as you can see I got mixed up with this and I ment bupm steer so is what i stated correct and can I overcome the issue I mention by the method I explaned ?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE VIKING View Post
    Thanks for the replies as you can see I got mixed up with this and I ment bupm steer so is what i stated correct and can I overcome the issue I mention by the method I explaned ?
    Sorry, but this type of question says that you need to do much more studying before contemplating doing this yourself. The wishbone pivots ,there lengths relative to each other and the angle they mount at all play a huge part in how the suspension works(or not), so until you have that sussed you can't just move things around until it fits.

Too big a subject to explain it all in one go. Loads of books on this so go read one, then read it again.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by german8rcoupe View Post
    Sorry, but this type of question says that you need to do much more studying before contemplating doing this yourself. The wishbone pivots ,there lengths relative to each other and the angle they mount at all play a huge part in how the suspension works(or not), so until you have that sussed you can't just move things around until it fits.

Too big a subject to explain it all in one go. Loads of books on this so go read one, then read it again.
    well put, having built a few sets of a arms it is not as easy as you may think if you start moving a arms in in or out top or bottom you will throw out all the geomatry i can see what you are attempting to get your rack to fit but you need to no a lot more,there are several book,s to look at, i had one about raly cars that was very good ithink it was celled how to make your car handle? hope this helps im not trying to negative but as i said there is alot to no

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick question along similar lines.....if the vehicle was to be changed from steering box to steering rack, would I be correct in thinking that the steering arms do not need altering as the Ackerman angle remains correct? (standard factory suspension)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but rack conversions are a whole other ball game especially on a Mac strut car if you wnat it to handle as well as just turn the wheels in the correct direction.

If you want to set up an IFS , read books about IFS , if you want Mac strut do the same , likewise beam axle. Ackermann is about the only interchangeable spec amongst them, each has it's own needs and settings.

Check out the UKhotrods techs section for a basic overview re requirements for IFS.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you a link Kev ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information