Jacking Up a Rover P6- Advice Needed Please!
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Email Address Not Working Street's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacking Up a Rover P6- Advice Needed Please!

I've just started building a gasser Rover P6, and wanting to raise the front of my Rover P6 by 6 or 7 inches. I'd love to sling a tube axle under there but it's a real budget build so for now i'm going to be raising it on the origional suspension. Thing is, i'm not too sure of the best way to go about it?
    Don't know how familiar you are with the P6 front suspension set up but it's a bit of a perculiar arrangement:

Here's someone elses pic of their P6. Now, after a bit of a head scratch I can see 3 possible ways of raising it:

^ 1- The 'swivel pillar assembly' as the Haynes manual calls it, that vertical tube connecting the hub and top link assembly. This could be lengthened by the required amount yes? Assuming it's tubular and not solid, this could be sleeved and welded at the new length I thought.

^ 2- The ball joint that bolts to the top of the swivel pillar assembly. I was thinking maybe a flange could be made with a length of tube similar to the swivel pillar welded to it that bolts in place of the ball joint, then have another flange on top of the new tube for the ball joint to bolt to instead, and raise the suspension height that way?

^ Or 3- There's a rod thats part of the top link that acts on the road spring. If I lengthened that (or even threaded it and made it adjustable) that would also raise the suspension.
    I discounted getting a longer road spring because they're already very long from factory and I don't think i'd find anything longer from another car. Although I suppose having some made isn't out of the question if neccesary.

So the question is guys, which way would you go about it? Any of the above? None of the above? A shorter version of all 3 modifications combined to get the right height? I suppose i'm looking for the strongest way of doing it really, the safest option. But if there's nothing to choose between them in that respect then the next consideration is the easiest/least machining/cheapest.

Here's what sort of suspension height i'm going for up front:

Hope you can help!
    '72 Rover P6 3500V8 Gasser Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

JC.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a P6 for a while. The front suspension is really odd, eh? Works very well though IME.
    I know that people sometimes fit shorter springs to lower them. Would a longer spring work or would that be dangerous?
    -JC.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fitting a longer spring doesn't necessarily raise the car, as does fitting a shorter one lower it, it's all about spring rates, no. of coils, etc etc.
    The bizarre suspension set up has a perfectly viable reason, the car was originally developed (free of charge in in their own time) by the Engineers at Rover to have a small gas turbine engine instead of the internal combustion engine. There were several prototypes built (not sure if any still exist) and worked well. The space was needed within the bay and trans tunnel hence the weird horizontal bell crank type thingy.
    The set up worked, it's space efficient but generally not the greatest design. That's why no one else went down this route. This is also the reason they went for the Dedione (I think that's how you spell it) tube rear suspension/axle.
    Anyhow...
    If you fit longer springs or adjustable rod above the pivot, all your angles will be wrong, other parts will be subjected to excess stresses and generally not good.
    Sleeving the swivel bar strut thingy would be the better way, as this will keep all the upper suspension geometry as intended.
    I would have thought that the swivel bar would actually be a tube. The reason for this (and most other cars) is to keep the unsprung weight down, therefore your springs and shocks have to deal with less mass to control and keep in contact with the road.
    You may have to increase the length of your lower arm / track control arm and keep an eye on your steering geometry too.
    Have I bored you yet?
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by fozwanger; 11-06-2009 at 10:22.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The prototype gas turbines are in the Gaydon museum , interesting stuff. One is a 3 door roadster Rover 100 /110 body

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't see it when I was up there last year. Had a quick whizz round after an interview at Jag. Might take a drive up there and have another look :-)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if they revolve exhibits but it was over near the Rover P3, prototpe P6 ,and Landrovers. I went back last June time and they were to the left of teh entry desk.
    Last edited by kapri; 11-06-2009 at 13:23.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. Maybe I did see it but it didn't register. I was too busy telling the guy about my Morris (the twin turbo'd one, not the V10 one being built now) whilst looking at the one at the fioot of the stairs.

Lee
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might be easier to junk the lot and fit a complete IFS off of something like a Cortina. Then you could mount the whole subframe where you want it and maintain the factory (Ford) geometry. You'd obviously have to mackle up the steering columb.
    Another trick for high riders back in the day was to use the complete front axle from an early Transit.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or Sherpa, neing the early ones are BL you never know, the track might even be the same.....

Email Address Not Working Street's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers guys!

J.C- Yeah it is a funny set-up but your right it does work suprisingly well!
    I discounted putting a longer spring in because I think the P6 has very long springs already and I don't think I could find anything much longer.

Fozwanger- I think your right about the swivel bar strut, it's looking like the best option because as you say it's not going to alter all the other suspension angles. When I jacked the car up to the height I wanted it to be at it had some positive camber going on but not as much as I thought. I think this could be remedied by re-drilling the track control arm mounts as there's a bit of meant around them to make a bit of a difference I should think.

Kapri- I saw the gas turbine car at Gaydon, fascinating car! The front end styling is a lot nicer than the P6 I think.

Lee- Yeah i'd really like to put a straight axle in there, I love how that looks. I was hoping to get the car on the road really quickly with just the altitude and attitude by modifying the existing suspension, then start thinking about replacing the lot with something else and gather the parts while i'm running it.
    Someone else mentioned a Sherpa axle, the PCD is the same so you never know about the width! Just got to think about where to mount the leaf springs as there's no chassis rails to speak of.... Haven't looked under it with locating leaf springs in mind yet so I might see how feasible that would be.
    '72 Rover P6 3500V8 Gasser Project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information