Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeep diesel misbehaving help needed

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee (2.5 VM engine) has been good up till recently when it suddenly decided not to start without a wiff of easystart. When it starts, after some failed starting without the easystart, it makes smoke from exhaust but also from somewhere at the back of the manifold and turbo area. The heater plugs are getting power but its as if they aren't. Is there something in the mystic range of sensors and valves and emission controls that could be causing the trouble?
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s could well be the glow plugs but whatever you do get rid of that easy start stuff.....it ****s diesels up big time

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it starts fine once it's warm then it'll be glow plugs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strange thing is the way it tries to start on first try but then nothing. The plugs all measure about 0.7 ohms and there is power to the caps. I understand all the above comment and agree. This problem occurred suddenly, not a gradual decline. When it starts following unsuccessful cranking, and easystart, there is a cloud of smoke from the engine, somewhere near the turbo or exhaust manifold. I cannot exactly see where this smoke comes from but it clears once engine runs steadily. Could there be a sticking valve or blown seal that would stop it starting from cold? The egr valve for instance?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've had a few common rail diesels that have these symptoms. i've fitted an electric fuel pump (usually facet red top) in line powered by an ignition live. by the time the glow light goes out the system is primed and they start and run fine. this tells me there is air getting into the system from one of the multitude of o rings and joins modern diesels seem to have but which don't seem to show up as a leak like you'd expect. i've done this to fords, vauxhalls and mercedes to name just 3 and it works.
    regards, neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking my troubles are a result of a lack of general maintenance and attention. I realised the fuel filter is overdue for changing so could be a slight supply loss so that will get done. The exhaust is still the original 21 years old unit although at time of fitting a particulate filter of any sort was not fitted. Thing is, when its running it drives fine having only done about 110,000 miles. Perhaps I will take the plugs out again and fire them up to check actual temperatures.
    Another thing, Ive been hearing about blanking the egr valve to improve performance and mpg which might be worth a try although illegal I suspect.
    Last edited by Perfect65; 07-06-2019 at 20:05.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've blanked of the egr valve on lots of diesels mate. they're ok when clean/new and the engine's not breathing a bit and feeding crap back into the inlet. if you've ever seen inside the inlet manifold on an older di transit they get almost completely blocked, not good. just a metal plate where the gasket goes will do the trick, the egr valve still 'works' for the ecu to get the right signal but no crap gets through. if there's no gasket just a pipe then cut, crimp and weld the pipe shut.
    neil.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I think I will give that a go, just slip a plate under the gasket. What about sealing it both sides? Silicon sealant? I might have some Hallite steam jointing, graphite and asbestos about 1mm thick. Would it be simpler to clamp or block the vacuum pipe so the valve cannot open anyway so egr just stays shut? I'm assuming the valve is normally closed with no vacuum.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    use steel plate, the steam jointing will burn through. yes a smear of silicon either side of the plate will work and lose the existing gasket too. no don't block the vacuum pipe or the ecu will think there's a fault, as long as the egr valve 'works' even though it's flow is blocked the ecu is happy.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Neil, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go. Wish I had heard about it 20 years ago when it was new.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information