Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i usually find after ive cleaned a fuel tank out i have change the filter a few times as loose debris will come up for a while after, theres not another filter underneath near the tank is there? Drop the tank again and check the pickup, its an easy job on a 59 as long as its not too full
    Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Cheers Andy, quite limited to what I can do where it is. Will have a play about at the weekend hopefully. Just want to be able to use the bloody thing lol.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A small jockey tank as mentioned above, under the bonnet is a good idea and quickly eliminates any trouble in the lines if it exists. I borrowed one from a friend off a mower but a moped tank might also be available. Other thoughts - on mine a straight 4 with twin SUs - there is an engine breather connection - if that leaks or comes off the engine doesn't like it at all. What about cam timing - do you know the cars history and if it has been laid up and why? Keep trying, you will sort it eventually.
    Greatest discombobulations to all my readers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    It was bought over here with 2 others as part a deal 9 years ago, I'm sure it was used as a downer car and then someone began to put it back together then gave up, then I got it. Wasn't even registered over here till I did it. Will never b a show car but I don't have the heart to rat it either. The car ran fine for 20 miles before it developed this fault then the carb gave up. I had a look for split breathers or vacume leaks but couldn't see any. It feels like fuel starvation that's why I thought pump, but it's sealed so can't take it apart so was going to fit an electronic one. If it was dirt in the lines surely it wouldn't clear as soon as I put in neutral or stop and restart. It just happens 30mph plus anything under that it's fine. Maybe if I threaten to rat it it might behave itself lol

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the fuel pump is the only thing hasn't been changed its worth borrowing one to try, see if it makes a difference. Have you taken the old one off , you might be able to tell looking at the inlet if it's full of crud

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Looking for a 50s car, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, cash waiting. Message me or call 07836 349356

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    More thoughts - fuel tank not breathing - try running a test with filler cap off. Weak spark so engine cant cope with the fuel you are trying to put in at the problem speed - check plugs - stop engine immediately after it coughs and splutters and have a look to see if dry or sooty or wettish. Can you test the pump with pressure gauge on the outlet or vacuum gauge on the inlet? Alternatively, you could use the finger-over-the hole test to see if you feel pressure or vacuum at the pump connections.
    Last edited by Perfect65; 13-04-2016 at 07:52.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I have had the pump off couldn't see much tbh and like I said it's a sealed one, don't think it's spark as it's had new coil, cap, electronic ignition and plugs and leads and timing set. I don't have a pressure gauge unfortunately but I have an electronic fuel pump I could try it's a low psi one so should be ok. Was going to try it at the weekend, will also check if there is another filter near the tank and will try it with cap off too. I appreciate all ur help it's driving me mad.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think many of us share in your frustration. A workmate once told me, he was a fully qualified motor engineer by the way, that putting a fault right is mostly easy - its finding it in the first place that takes all the patience and know-how.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    So fitted the electric fuel pump went to test it and battery was nakered, replaced battery tested pump ran fine then powersteering started leaking and also feels like a slight miss fire....just one thing after another. Maybe time to sell it to someone that knows what they are doing properly

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1980 View Post
    So fitted the electric fuel pump went to test it and battery was nakered, replaced battery tested pump ran fine then powersteering started leaking and also feels like a slight miss fire....just one thing after another. Maybe time to sell it to someone that knows what they are doing properly
    My Jeep failed the MOT about 10 years ago on a power steering leak - I couldn't see it so I went to another testing station and it passed. Never did find the leak - I just top it up every 10 years a thimble full. My pump reservoir always has an oily film over it - I think it is spray from somewhere else but dont know where. Keep going your doing fine (quote from the automated eye testing machine with the disappearing dots) . You're never finished with old cars - thats why we love em.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information