Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Left to Right Hand Drive

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  mygasser 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, looking for advice on converting a beam axle to right hand drive utilising cross style setup it has now. If the steering arms are integral with the stub axles poses problems. Are there any ways to get over this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty sure that Bolt on steering arms are avialable for r/hand drive,
They pick up on the lower 2 of the 4 bolts on the spindle,
You'll need to cut your arms off,
Jon Golding at Home grown hot rods can advise better than me on this and available options,
Possibly new spindles?

#6 · (Edited)
You can get tie/track rod ends with a hole in for the cross-steer drop link end to mount to. These were for converting side steer cars with just the one hole each side to work with cross-steering like Vega boxes. I did have one here and will put a photo up if I can find it - integral OEM steering arms are always going to be better than bolt-on ones.

EDIT
Here 'tis:

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/imagehosting/15455bbcebd52fdfd.jpg

I don't remember what the exact original application was for these but it has I think an 11/16"-UNF KH thread so fits one end of (some) early Ford tie rods.

(It seems image hosting/uploading is still FUBARed here, but the link should bring up the pic.)

#10 · (Edited)
That's a generous offer well worth considering. I checked out the thread today and had a measure up . 11/16 diameter with 18 Threads Per Inch so it seems like it will do the job Calipers Circuit component Wood Passive circuit component Gas
Wood Bicycle part Auto part Metal Pipe

I did find the supplier in the USA selling this and other parts I need like disc brake conversion and will be ordering up a quantity of stuff.
To move forward I now need to find a suitable smallish steering box that will fit inside or maybe on top of the chassis rail. A land rover defender or Isuzu trooper look interesting but haven't got one in front of me to verify.
Are there in particular useful boxes that have been used before that you know of ? PM'd you

#16 ·
That's a generous offer well worth considering. I checked out the thread today and had a measure up . 11/16 diameter with 18 Threads Per Inch so it seems like it will do the job View attachment 289795 View attachment 289797

I did find the supplier in the USA selling this and other parts I need like disc brake conversion and will be ordering up a quantity of stuff.
To move forward I now need to find a suitable smallish steering box that will fit inside or maybe on top of the chassis rail. A land rover defender or Isuzu trooper look interesting but haven't got one in front of me to verify.
Are there in particular useful boxes that have been used before that you know of ? PM'd you
11/16 18tpi is the std early ford thread. If you need rod ends like them with the same thread quite a few people keep them over here - duksville, jackhammer etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.