Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Losing Water

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Near enough! pumps fine,anywaygoingto garage to pull heads"..........

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

ExclamationCracked block

Worst case scenario you may have what did for my block.

A crack between two cylinders.

My overheating and watery exhaust eventually led to one cylinder finally not managing to cope with ingestion of coolant and hydrolocked.
    Well known engine supplier Smax thought he could repair a damaged block with braze. :****er:

It started slowly leaking into cylinders then let go suddenly as I too pondered the problem.
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    just pulled heads,water in gully under inlet manifold,bores full of water on one side,some in the other.I did notice head on side of most water not torqued down properly!! looks like inlet manifold gasket leaking then entering head that wasn't torqued down properly. no signs of waTer in sump,so it didn't get past rings.ANYWAY GOING TO. GET HEAD CHECKED FOR FLATNESS. NOW.Block looks ok,phew !

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    a lot of the water you found was probably from disassembly. it's nigh impossible to get all the coolant out of the engine before you take it apart so it runs out of the water jacket to the nearest point. if water was leaking into the 'v' under the inlet it would have found it's way into the sump for sure. headbolts not torqued fully will be the culprit hopefully.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah just. Drained oil and looks like there's. Some water there.....heads are at engineers getting checked for flatness and he's doing a vacuum test to see if. A crack shows up,although this could be difficult as heads will be cold,,but it's the only test available here on the island.......just ordered Felpro gaskets,so all being well should start build up on Monday,as going over to England for weekend.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulband another thing

When I set about building another mill from a supplied short block I ran a ruler across my Edelbrock inlet and somehow during the original manufacture presumably, a bit must have got missed on the final pass on the mill !?!?! You can see very coarse machine marks and then the ridge at the edge.
    Don't think it had caused any issues as I use goop on that edge instead of a gasket to block.

But it just goes to show even a 'premium' product needs a check over.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Grumpy Grandad's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzaigeorge View Post
    rad is in usual place about 11" behind front grille,unobstructed direct airflow.Kenlowe top o the range 2 speed fan behind rad so it pulls air through, small water bottle style header tank behind rad to one side,top level with rad top,sorry no photo at present
    This could be your trouble, the expansion tank is better sighted higher than any other part of the cooling system. If you are filling to the brim when the system is cold the water will expand as the temperature rises and it has to come out some where as there is no air at the top of the expansion bottle to compress.
    When you check the level after things have cooled the level will have dropped, ( as some has come out)if you then warn it up, it may not loose any more water.
    Steve

TechnicalTom
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandad View Post
    This could be your trouble, the expansion tank is better sighted higher than any other part of the cooling system. If you are filling to the brim when the system is cold the water will expand as the temperature rises and it has to come out some where as there is no air at the top of the expansion bottle to compress.
    When you check the level after things have cooled the level will have dropped, ( as some has come out)if you then warn it up, it may not loose any more water.
    Not being argumentitive but having worked on many hundreds of different cars/models , both UK/USA and Asian , manufacturers have put expansion tanks in all sorts of places with absolutely no effect on their workability.Austin 1100/1300 had the ex.tank at the bottom of the radiator area , as an example. With some research it becomes clear that many overheating faults are a result of " straying" from OEM developed systems, electric fans instead of mechanical fan and shrouding . Just my 02 worth.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heads are back,slightly skimmed and crack tested,ooooo! Sounds painful.......new gaskets,should be on tonight would have been earlier but the missus wants some quality time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information