Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

LT77 taper to ball races?

Ive heard that it makes for a better gearbox, any one care to comment? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose it depends on how you define better. They already make a better LT77, the R380. I think it's a given that LT77 boxes are marginal in their standard form (particularly behind a V, but the taper bearings will resist axial load better unless you use an angular contact spherical bearing. Other boxes use spherical bearings so I suppose it should be possible to swap them but unless you could compare the specs of the different bearings, it would be hard to see if there was an advantage.

I've rebuilt quite a few 2WD LT77's (or at least the ones that had anything useful left inside) and pretty much all of them seem to have suffered due to failure / wear of the oil pump

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with taper bearings in a box is that when you get any wear or the shims get squeezed the shafts drop & the gear teeth mesh too deep, destoying the teeth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, as seen in pretty much every LT77. I'm not sure if ball bearings are any more wear resistant than taper bearing though. I think the issue is that most of the wear has already happened well before anyone pulls the thing apart to rebuild it. The original plastic oil pump gears obviously weren't up to the job from day one and I think with metal pump internals and more modern oils, the taper bearing are now more viable that before.

Currently I'm rebuilding a Suffix C box to go in a Cobra kit. It's probably the best I've seen internally, mainly because it's a TR7 box so has had an easier life behind a 2 litre 4 pot. Despite this, it'll still get all new bearings, synchros, oil pump and I'm looking at options for a taller fifth gear set to drop the cruising rpm a bit. I work on the basis that any box that's out of a car is scrap and if it's possible to rebuild it then it's a bonus.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information