Likes Likes:  35
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie TheWebDesignCompany's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68roadrunner View Post
    OK, then i'm out of ideas.
    Don't worry, I understand that from miles away, without seeing the engine it is very difficult, but all the advice from this thread has been and continues to be fantastically helpful.
    I will be buying the compression tester and the other tester that was recommended. I will try to locate a single 7.8 hardened pushrod to replace the worn one, and will buy and wire in a rev counter.
    Once the compression test is done and the pushrod replaced and the rev counter test done then we will have a lot more info to work with...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder what would cause a rocker nut to come loose?
    Can only think of worn threads on the nuts or studs maybe?

Wonder if a lifter prob could cause it.........bleed down maybe
    Last edited by cptpugwash; 07-08-2018 at 16:22.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As it has the rocker cover off you MUST do the test I advised with the marker pen - it will only take a few mins. Take some photos and we can see what you have. To check the correct pushrod length (if the wear pattern is incorrect) you will need an adjustable pushrod that you can buy from real steel - they come in different lengths so you will need to make sure you buy the correct one - real steel will advise when you confirm you have 7.8" long pushrods.

The ONLY way you can determine the correct pushrod length is by this means - there is NO shortcut way - this is why engine builders are engine builders, you have to do it right or not at all.

5. Likes35kid, mygasser liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont be drawn in by it was built in the US, they are the biggest bunch of hacks you will ever see, if you were to see this Charger I have just done (fresh from the US) you'd see what I mean.
    "Lets smash a 2" hole through the firewall Cletus with a cold chisel to run the 6mm shifter cable through"....then you can "touch" your Cousin while the cable welds itself to the headers"....

8. LikesPlumpcars liked this post
    Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently set up a Chevy engine which had been built by a so called Florida racing engine builder. The pushrods were actually just over 1/2" too long and it had done a few miles like that. Still ran on all eight and performed, not sure when it would have fallen apart though. Someone else had wound the pre load right down in an effort to quieten it a little. Not surprised to Google said builder and discover that he had done a runner with customers cash. Did run a lot smoother when done though.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cptpugwash View Post
    Wonder what would cause a rocker nut to come loose?
    Can only think of worn threads on the nuts or studs maybe?

Wonder if a lifter prob could cause it.........bleed down maybe
    i've replaced and or double nutted rockers a few times where the factory 'pinch' nut has loosened with time and use. it's not as uncommon as you'd think.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

11. Likescptpugwash liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    <my mistake>
    Last edited by TheWebDesignCompany; 09-08-2018 at 12:55.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TheWebDesignCompany View Post
    Hi, I had hardened 7.8" pushrods in my Chevy 350 V8 with camel hump heads and a Luminati cam
    I upgraded the heads to Aluminium race heads with +100 valves and the engine builder put my same old push rods back in.
    I have a new cam shaft which is almost the same spec as my old one but it is an XE268 Comp Cams Camshaft this time.

The performance is dire and it really lacks power. So I'm wondering if it is because the pushrods are too short.
    Right, without wading through this thread again LOL I think we need a mid point appraisel

For a kick off

This thread has turned in to a runaway train of suggestions to fix the issues. IMO

And, the OP is a confessed relative newby so reams of tech speak without images must be a mind fcuk.

To put meat on the bones and apologies if teaching to suck eggs here's some reference photo's
    Some of my waffle is based on real life and some aint.

This is the tell tale marking where the rocker rubs the ink off confirming it's pretty well centred on valve tip.

The black plates are pushrod guides and yes hardened push rods will glide against them.
    If yours have worn, despite being the wrong length I doubt they are hardened.
    Hang on, it wore out because the retaining nut worked loose and it wibbled and wobbled until it finally broke free.
    No big deal, one of mine did and shot up and dented the rocker cover.
    Fixed the nut and jobs a good un.

BECAUSE you should NOT have self aligning rockers on heads with guide plates or they can fight each other.

This is the difference between rockers, the ones with little ridges keep themselves in place on the valves.
    It don't look that secure but hey. Long slots are good as they allow full movement as rockers can bang the posts, use ARP posts.

This is a typical vacuum guage in use, hooked up to carb and fiddle about.

Quick visual check on plug leads - bear in mind the distributor cap may be slightly rotated depending on install but following the leads round the cap agains head position will at least confirm it is not cross wired etc.

Random torque converter.

Carry on

---

Maybe it just needs a tune? as the noise may be just the loose pushrod. I read somewhere (lol) that almost all ali heads take a +.100 pushrod so you need em, but do the check too huh!

Maybe the converter got swapped out but a V8 in lightweight car should still spin up the tyres anyhoo so power just aint there.

Original OP needs to put up some pics with air filter and rocker covers off or this is all pointless.
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

14. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Jim View Post
    Right, without wading through this thread again LOL I think we need a mid point appraisel

<snip>

Original OP needs to put up some pics with air filter and rocker covers off or this is all pointless.
    Thank you Custom Jim, that is really helpful. (Have you worked with people who have autism before? I understood all of your post...)
    The studs were taken from my old heads and so were the rocker arms and the pushrods.

Those valve guides look identical to the ones that I now have, my old heads didnt have guide plates at all.

The rockers arms were all left in a tub by the mechanic who removed the old heads, so if they wear to the pushrods and need to be matched back to the original places, they are not...
    I don't know which type of rockers they are yet, when my compression tester and rap gauge arrive I will get down to the garage and have a look.
    (The garage is in a secured unit quite a way from my house)

I will then take some new photos for you.
    I have some that I took before and will try to find them.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    i've replaced and or double nutted rockers a few times where the factory 'pinch' nut has loosened with time and use. it's not as uncommon as you'd think.
    Just curious really as iv never come across it before personally, but have noticed it mentioned in the past
    Did wonder if it might be something for the op to look into

Quote Originally Posted by TheWebDesignCompany View Post
    What has happened several of the messages from this thread have vanished?
    Ive got the replies on email, but they are missing from here...
    Its just the site playing up, seems ok at the min

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information