Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  35
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fella, all those mismatched parts aren't giving me a good feeling.....neither is the tale you have been told, however, over the Internet things can "change" both in conversation and job description.
    Take the valve covers off, de-adjust the rocker arms a quarter of a turn and then see how its sounds...this is not a fix in my book but you have to start somewhere.
    2 worn out lobes on a cam would only make it lazy and (usually) backfire blue flames out the carb on revving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Ali heads as I understand have a .100 of an inch thicker deck/base for extra strength as it ain't steel. That's it. It raises the rocker. That's why you need .100" longer rods.

2) Race heads? Brand name? Cc? You may have just dumped old school tuned heads for a low compression set up.
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68roadrunner View Post
    If the valves are 100thou longer you need a shorter pushrod . You only have 20thou of free float in a hyd lifter..."you" have stolen that +80thou because of the longer valves, if you slacken the rocker arm to compensate...you have just done that, compensate, its a band aid in my World.
    Well, that would apply on a mopar or other with shaft rockers, but on a chevy the lash adjustment is done by raising or lowering the (stud mounted) rocker fulcrum. So with longer pushrods the whole lot is .100 higher - retaining the correct rocker angle. Shorter pushrods would make the rocker angle steeply upwards.
    Hydraulic lifters have about .200" of range not .020"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Jim View Post
    1) Ali heads as I understand have a .100 of an inch thicker deck/base for extra strength as it ain't steel. That's it. It raises the rocker. That's why you need .100" longer rods.
    Thicker decks dont make the whole head thicker., they take it out of water-jacket depth. Overall dimensions are almost always stock. Longer valves are to allow more lift before things start hitting each other.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Briz View Post
    Well, that would apply on a mopar or other with shaft rockers, but on a chevy the lash adjustment is done by raising or lowering the (stud mounted) rocker fulcrum. So with longer pushrods the whole lot is .100 higher - retaining the correct rocker angle. Shorter pushrods would make the rocker angle steeply upwards.
    Hydraulic lifters have about .200" of range not .020"
    Is that the real answer?, slacken it off to "get" what you are looking for, sounds crap for a valvetrain to me but if that's the way it is ,fair enough.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as mark (blackporacing) says you need to check what you have before spending more money which may not be needed. we do need to know the spec of the heads also to know if they're helping or hindering performance.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68roadrunner View Post
    Is that the real answer?, slacken it off to "get" what you are looking for, sounds crap for a valvetrain to me but if that's the way it is ,fair enough.
    Yeah, thats how it works. You adjust the valve lash via a big 'jam' nut on the rocker fulcrum ball, or on roller rockers via a poly-lock nut setup. Theres no positive stop on the rocker stud. Same on any engine with stud mounted rockers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    you seem to have had no end of problems with your engine if your past posts are anything to go by. I think you have a mismatched set up hence the reason its not really running right. I think you need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing with SBCs so they can look, see and touch it instead of doing things by a blind committee (asking for answers on an internet forum) It might cost you a little bit but it will be done right.

11. Likesblackpopracing, kapri liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie rickbwigan's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    was the new cam run in properly after install?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Briz View Post
    Yeah, thats how it works. You adjust the valve lash via a big 'jam' nut on the rocker fulcrum ball, or on roller rockers via a poly-lock nut setup. Theres no positive stop on the rocker stud. Same on any engine with stud mounted rockers.
    I know that, I meant is that the correct thing to do.
    I'm not saying you are wrong about anything, i'm asking is that how its done professionally .
    Bloody context "thing" is hard on forums LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information