Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Micro blistering :(

Last night I removed all the snow off the car so today I could take my car out for a drive.

I've noticed that some of the paint is micro blistering. It wasn't there 2 weeks ago, so I guess the cold weather didn't help.

Is there anything that can be done about this, or is it something that's going to bloom up in the winter months?

Car is stored outside all year round with a breathable cover. I've had it 15 months and it was resprayed by the previous owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Cadillac fanatic MR1958CADILLAC's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Micro blistering normally occurs when cars are covered in sheets, do you have a proper car cover or is it like a cheap tarp type cover, only top dollar car covers will prevent this happening, but even that is NOT gospel.

I would doubt that it was anything to do with the paint now, It was painted a fair while ago, and anything that was going to show would have by now.

Even though the cover is breathable, it is the water content that it holds which causes the micro blistering to occur, water get under the paint and then heats up, causing the paint to lift.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a £250 cover, breathable thing. I've had the car since September 08, not sure how long before that it was painted, but like you say it's not recent either way. One wing has always had minor blistering on it, that was pretty hard to notice, but this recent blistering is a patch on the boot and is quite noticeable

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Cadillac fanatic MR1958CADILLAC's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 30psi View Post
    Its a £250 cover, breathable thing. I've had the car since September 08, not sure how long before that it was painted, but like you say it's not recent either way. One wing has always had minor blistering on it, that was pretty hard to notice, but this recent blistering is a patch on the boot and is quite noticeable

Umm, Not exactly a cheap cover, and no easy cure either, it does sometimes go back down and becomes harder to see, but from experience it never goes away without going right back to the metal, or in the case of Fibreglass, back past the gel coat in some cases.

Bummer

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep it's an arse.

Question is how many £K do I need to steal to have a full respray done?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No easy answers on this topic, I've had the same problem on a '73 camaro, I thought it was down to a cheap cover that went on during the worst winter months. A more expensive cover was bought but didn't help... I know this will sound wrong to some but I now think no cover can be a better option.
    My Firebird has suffered from micro blistering that has got steadily worse, to the point where it needs totally taking back to bare metal and the start of a mega project. Here's the weird bit- the areas worst hit are those areas exposed most to the sun [roof, tops of wings , hood and trunk] The shadier lower parts of the car are untouched by the blistering.
    By the way my 'bird is bright red [ a colour I was advised by a friend not to go for] Won't be red next time!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Micro blistering is moisture trapped in between paint coats,usually at the time of the paint being applied,ie water in airlines,if its in there a car cover will accelerate the apperance of the blisters,if the paint system is moisture free you will never get the problem-ever !,Bry
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

www.53catalina.co.uk 53catalina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    My car has lots of micro blisters. It's worse on top of the bonnet and boot, but oddly the roof is unaffected. That s a different colour so may have been painted differently.
    The vertical sides have much less blistering, but its still there.
    The only option is to bare metal the car, but it's a big task, hence I have lived with mone for 5 years now. It hasnt got worse in that time.
    I keep the car garaged which may have helped.

Full Time Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjob View Post
    Micro blistering is moisture trapped in between paint coats,usually at the time of the paint being applied,ie water in airlines,if its in there a car cover will accelerate the apperance of the blisters,if the paint system is moisture free you will never get the problem-ever !,Bry
    Bingo bigjob
    Paint is Porous , so if at the time the layers of paint was applied wet over wet to many times with out proper time between coats or the material was not thinned to proper viscosity this would also trap solvents that will appear much later given the opportunity.
    Moisture will travel back down until it hit the steel and return back to the top surfacing any problems on the way...... I have also experienced wet sanding primers with to much talc content which acts like a sponge and traps water.
    I have painted in the worst conditions and had show winning results and painted in perfect conditions and dissaster..... I guess what I am saying paint don't care who you are or what your painting you are at its Mersey ...
    Thanks Steve
    Shaping Metal Is Often Easier Than Shaping Minds

http://chevylegends.com/forum/index.php

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if I'm getting obsessive on this one but this subject really bugs me. I get the basic science that moisture trapped in the paint is' breaking out' ,but there almost seems to be no escape from this problem and the amount of money spent on the job almost seems irrelevant .
    The 73 Camaro I had painted cheaply [over several previous layers+ various local repairs],it blistered but not terrible...
    My Firebird was sanded down to the 'factory' topcoat ,sprayed with a sealer by me, then taken to a well established painter who mostly restores classic cars. So the sprayer is a professional ,using good equipment. When freshly painted it was an excellent 'driver quality' job just what I wanted...but slowly went from small blisters to a total mess!
    My last example is a friend's 1st gen Camaro. Taken to bare metal by a top quality painter prep, primed sprayed to a really beautiful show standard. Couple of years later some small bubbles begining to show up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information