Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

New A arm bushes on Camaro Subframe

purchased a a set of PST Urethane suspension bushes for the mid 70's Camaro clip in my PU.

Problem is the upper front A arm bush does not seem to fit properly.

I have contacted PST and they confirm that the set I have are correct and suggested that I grind off the raised dimples to make the bush fit flush and enable the nuts to fit down far enough to expose at least 1 thread from the end.

Did as they suggested but it feels as if the bush is 'bottoming out' before I can tighten the nut down to the right spec.

Took it apart again and the internal sleeve that runs through the bush is indeed bottoming out against the cross shaft before the nut is fully engaged on the shaft.

It was at this stage I realised that the 6000mile warranty had come into play...

So, if I were to shorten the internal sleeve to give me enough room to get the nut on properly is this going to cause a problem?

If the sleeve is too short ie not up hard against to cross shaft shoulder and fat washer shown in the picture, will this allow the A arm to move backwards and forwards on the cross shaft?

Yes, I could order up the correct set but that is £70 I can use else where and if I can correct it by re engineering what I have so much the better!

Any comments and advice appreciated.

P.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There should be one bush with the raised dimples and one without on each side, with the dimpled one to the front. Maybe all yours are the dimpled (long) sort?
    How do they compare with the old ones?
    This is my trans-am, the bushes are energy suspension ones:
    Last edited by Briz; 30-07-2009 at 20:49.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Briz,

Thanks for the photo, it assures me that there is something wrong with mine.

You have a large amount of threads exposed when the nuts are torqued down, on mine the thread is still only about half way inside the nut!

When I measured the internal sleeve (well held it up against the cross shaft) there was only about half of the thread still exposed which explains why the nuts only go down so far, they are tight up against the sleeve.

I did try and 'just wind it down' on one end but this just stripped the thread (oh dear)

It was PST that suggested removing the dimples, there were no dimples on my old bushes.

As for comparing them I am afraid that is not going to happen as I had to torch the old one out!

Are there different length cross shafts? I got the subframe and A arms seperatly. The subframe is a 78 Camaro (so I was told) whilst the A Arms are off a 79 Trans Am.

If I were to cut down the sleeve to give me more thread are there any issues that you can see?

My only worry is that the A arm will move fore and aft if the inner sleeve is too short.

Anyway, thanks for the reply any one else got an opinion??

P.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mines a '79 too. Should be the same. I take it the upper arms came with the shafts?

Really tho', are the inner sleeves pulling all the way down to the stop on the shaft? Cos they must.
    You only have to consider 2 things, the length of the bushings inner sleeves, and the available length on the shaft before the stop. If the sleeves are too long, it should be obvious.

Would have thought that if the bushes were too long, they wouldn't seat in the A arms.
    Last edited by Briz; 30-07-2009 at 23:14.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upper arms came with the shafts, when I took them off they looked like your do now.

When the inner sleeves are seated on the base of the cross shaft there is only about 1/2 the thread still available.

The inner sleeve is the same length as the bush.

Will take some more pictures in the morning to illustrate where I am now which should go some way to explaining the problem.

P.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Houston. We have a problem....

Thought I would go back and check the cross shaft length with others that I had.

Did this as, contrary to my previous post, the A arms I used did not come with a cross shaft, I used some from another set up.

So, the cross shafts that I have for this set up is as follows.

A total length of 15".

So decided to measure the other A Arms and cross shaft that I have.

They measure 16"...

That could explain this then...

So, did anyone else realise that there are two different cross shaft lengths?

Looks like I will have to pay for another set of top bushes than and use the cross shaft off the other arms.

Cock. Cock Cock.

Oh well one step forwards, 5 steps back. So much for a quick rebuild....

P.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    GM used that setup on loads of different cars so theres bound to be different ones around.
    On some cars, notably A bodies, they didn't have an external thread; the shaft was drilled & tapped to take bolts. So if you wanted to, you could cut them flush & drill & tap.
    It'd get you sorted anyway.
    My 65 Olds was tapped 3/8"UNC
    Last edited by Briz; 31-07-2009 at 21:28.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information