Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

odd electrical problem with gauges

Hello, I have a very strange problem with the celica gauges, i think this has been there since I completed the car but I have not noticed it before. The car went tax exempt last year and before that I only taxed it for the summer, so was never driven after dark with lights on. Now it is taxed all year round and gets used in the dark occasionally i have noticed this strange thing happening. With the engine running when I turn on the sidelights the fuel , temp and oil pressure gauge all go up about another 1/4 of the way up the gauge, if i turn on the headlights the same thing happens. The ammeter dips momentarily when I switch on the lights and goes straight back to just positive. If I turn on the lights when the engine is not running the gauges stay steady. The wiring is original celica and there does seem to been a voltage stabiliser for the gauges on the wiring diagram. Everything works OK but I would like to sort this, any ideas. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing to check when you have issues with multiple related items is the earthing of the gauges

I'm surprised there's no IVS, in fact I'm amazed ...... I'd look again

Further afield if it's an older Celica it may have an externally sensed / regulated alternator and when you load it up the voltage is spiking ..... have you put an ACCURATE external volt meter and got someone to observe the voltage the moment the lights are put on ?

And that's just the basics

John

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be checking the voltage stabiliser still works.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had this but only on the temp gauge.Entire instruments ystem was on a voltage reg . Turned out to be too high output from alternator due to blown diode.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    alternator is new, internally regulated, cheap Chinese but appears to work perfectly, will check wiring diagrams again but have had whole wiring loom out many years ago and cant recall a voltage stabiliser would probably be behind dash I think.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't rule the alternator out cos it's new Stick a voltmeter on the battery whilst getting someone to rev it up .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information