OEM Amazon/ LS6 V8 Amazon Preliminary Weight Comparison Data.
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Iamtheonlyreal1's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

OEM Amazon/ LS6 V8 Amazon Preliminary Weight Comparison Data.

Well I have some preliminary weight figures for Volvo X, and hopefully that answers some of the questions some have had about the weight affect of the V8 and extra performance components. As a comparison to stock, I also have some figures from a 39,000 mile original car, so we should get a great preliminary indication here.. I must say that I am very pleased with the outcome so far, I think this car is going to hit the mark I was shooting for..

With these weight figures, I have an all original car first, and it is as stock as you can get, so this is a great comparison car.. Volvo X has all its running gear in the car, simulated Fuel weight, seats, complete suspension, Steering Column, Guages, bumpers, ect.. It is really only missing the basic wiring, windshield/back glass, insulation and carpet, so we should be in 200-300 pound difference margin for the added accessories. We are figuring that, by the time we add the missing weight of the missing interior/insulation components, Windshield/Back Glass, HVAC to the central part of the car, that will actually get the Distribution ratio even closer to 50/50.

Here are the two cars in question.. Volvo X has the complete drivetrain and exhaust, unlike the pictures below, that were taken at an earlier date.

Original Car ________________________________Volvo X
    Total Weight 2386lb_____________________________Total Weight 2465lb

Front Weight 1270lb________________________Front Weight 1275lb
    Rear Weight 1116lb________________________Rear Weight 1190lb

Weight Distribution___________________________Weight Distribution
    Front 53.2% Rear 46.8%_________________________Front 51.7% Rear 48.3%

I had a problem getting Volvo X totally level, and that is why you will see the variation in the cross weight, and that is cause by the floor affecting the contact points on the scales.. It was way to cold to switch the cars around, but I will definitely do that on the final weigh in..

Something to consider in all of these figures, is that I have added additional weight in areas like the wheels and tires, along with some heavy duty parts like the rear end assembly and other items, so I think a major achievement was made here.. Keep in mind we are at 540 horsepower, with a V8 and heavy duty trans/Rear end assembly.. Also I am running 14in Front and 13in Rear Brake assemblies, ect, so we are gaining alot, with minimal over all weight difference. On the next weigh in, I will probalby put some original style wheels on the car, along with a few other less bulky things, and I think we will find that there really isnt any notable overall gain in suspension and drivetrain.

I was trying to keep this car at about 2700 pounds, fully accessorized and loaded, and it appears I might meet that mark. I wanted to keep the stock body, and not do the drag racing drilling, insulation removal, ect, because I wanted it to be a fully functional daily driver, with even more insulation, accessories, and comfort. I think I am missing between 200-300 pounds of additional necessity to achieve that level of daily driver function, so it looks like it will happen.

With the horsepower here, I actually think that additional/proportional weight would be a positive in performance, so it might be that I voluntarily add more weight at a later date, but I wanted to showcase that it was possible to get all of the listed upgrades, in the same basic package. The additional weight is actually coming from items like the heavier wheels/tires, and a few other bulkier/strength items like the 31 Spline large Axles/9in rear end, and not the fact that there is V8 motor with 5 times the horsepower, or stronger components to hold up.
    Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 01-01-2013 at 20:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information