Oil pressure light and gauge... a T or....?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Oil pressure light and gauge... a T or....?

Hi all,

my impala has an oil pressure gauge. it works, that's good because I like to know what the oil is doing.
    No oil light though, that's been unplugged, wire and connector is there though.

In my C10 I wired up the oil pressure gauge and the dash oil light pressure in the same place, just next to the oil filter, using a T splitter and had both capilar gauge and oil light pressure gauge on it.

On the Impala.. what you reckon will be best to do?

The capillar gauge is currently connected next to the dizzy, top of the engine, and there's a connector hanging off the wiring loom in that area (which I can only assume would have been for the pressure sensor, but still have to wack 12V on it to see if it lights up on the dash) .

I could put a T there, connect a new pressure sensor and job done. but might look a bit bulky for the small area?

what's the views of going in separate locations?
    I was thinking about connecting the pressure sensor where it should, on the top of the engine and then connect the pressure gauge on the side of block just above the oil filter? I think that's a place that also gives you the oil pressure? the small hole, I think 1/8NPT

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a T piece from the same place next to the distributor, It's Not too bulky. I also change the plastic capillary pipe to a stainless steel covered -3 PTFE pipe

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    mhh.... I seen some of the oil pressure switches and they look (at least on the photos) kinda long, although there was a couple of shorter ones but then I was worried would be too much on top of the block.

I might go for the top then and just buy a T....
    Need to check the gauges I have, have some new Moon gauges that been kicking about for a year or so, never fitted. and the ones in the car the water temp sensor is busted, so thought replacing it all.
    another job for the list, check threads on the moon oil gauge, the pressure sensor, the block and then order a T to match.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't upload pics or I'd put one up of mine

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a T peice as well. Put the oil light sender on the side of the T and the pressure gauge in the top as its a bit close to the dizzy otherwise.

Timbo, can you supply more details of your plastic tube replacement?

I'm a grown up member now ! Mals32b's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found a Y piece gives more room on a SBC than the T piece. This issue is finding a sensible priced 1/8 npt fitting here. In the USA they are very cheap

Mal

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A kind person on here donated one to me, but I believe it was a Harley Davidson one.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have ordered it now, got the T piece and the oil sensor unit, thursday looks like a dry day so booked that off work to get some more jobs ticked off the car before reg comes through.
    hope I have time to ditch the old gauges and fit new ones

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    I used a T peice as well. Put the oil light sender on the side of the T and the pressure gauge in the top as its a bit close to the dizzy otherwise.

Timbo, can you supply more details of your plastic tube replacement?
    I used a Tee with the light switch to the side and the pipe for the gauge straight out the top. The pipe I used is braided -3 Moquip https://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/O...ttings_94.html which I had left over from making brake lines on my race car. More here on page 43 Aeroquip hose and fittings, same stuff better quality https://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/T...uto_Cat_V3.pdf It originally had the plastic pipe JP shows in his photo but it was leaking onto the heater switch which caused a bit of smoke when I put the blower on.
    Last edited by timbo56; 09-11-2020 at 14:32.

12. Likes blackpopracing liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well.. still waiting for the light switch sensor to turn up, but meanwhile I noticed the T piece was quite fat and rubbing on the engine block, so spun that quickly on the lathe to trim it down.
    Now I can actually feel how much its tightning without having the resistance of the block when goes past the flats.

14. Likes timbo56 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information